Director of University Chorale and Assistant Professor of Voice
Savannah State Recruiting Loc
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the first public historically black college or university in the state of Georgia and the first institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university's students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment. Department Information
The Department of Fine Arts, Humanities, and Wellness offers courses leading to the (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in the Visual and Performing Arts. Students of all disciplines collaborate on productions and other related projects throughout the year threading connections throughout the arts. The program also provides opportunities for student engagement in the Visual and Performing Arts through recitals, concerts, theatrical and dance productions, visual art exhibitions, festivals, open studios, visiting artists, community outreach, study abroad, public/private partnerships, internships, conferences and guest lectures.
The Visual and Performing Arts program provides a comprehensive interdisciplinary curriculum in music, theatre, dance, and visual arts. The program utilizes individualized instruction to develop aesthetic and technical competency, a global perspective on the arts and an appreciation of diverse modes of expression. Building on the robust artistic culture of the community and region, the program encourages collaboration, creating opportunities for students to exhibit their creative skills and to explore varied careers in the visual and performing arts. Job Summary
Savannah State University, Department of Fine Arts, Humanities, and Wellness invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track fiscal-year (twelve month), Director of University Chorale and Assistant Professor of Voice begining on July 1, 2022. The successful candidate will be responsible for not only directing the University's chorale activities, but also teach courses in music such as applied lessons, music history & literature, vocal performance and education, and other related courses. Applicants should have a strong desire to mentor students in the Department's Visual and Performing Arts program. Broad research and teaching interests that intersect with other areas in the BFA degree program are desirable, as is the ability to collaborate with the visual and performing arts faculty on productions. Responsibilities
- Teach nine credit hours per semester in Choral Literature, Undergraduate Choral Conducting, Voice Performance, Applied Lessons, or related field
- Oversees and conducts one or more choral ensembles per semester.
- Mentoring undergradate students
- Serving on Department, College, and University commitees
- Attending all required Department, College, and University meetings and training
- Assist with recruiting students into chorale ensembles and the BFA program
- Developing curriculum
- Maintaining a protfolio of teaching, service, and scholarly research
- Holding 10 hours of office hours per week
- May be required to perform job related duties other than those specifically delineated in this position
- MM, MM.MED, or Masters in Music in Choral Conducting
- Performance background in piano with ability to direct and accompany a choral ensemble
- Prior experience leading choral ensembles
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching
- Evidence of a commitment to undergraduate teaching and student engagement
- Prior experience teaching choral musicians of varying levels of expertise
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse choral classroom and to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential
Apply Before Date
- DMA, DME, PHD, or EDD in choral conducting, piano, musicology, or related field
- Minimum of three years teaching experience at the collegiate level
- Public school teaching experience
- Significant professional performance experience.
Please submit application on or before Tuesday, February 4, 2022. Contact Information
For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at (877) 251.2644, or by email at [email protected]
. Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request. Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at [email protected]
. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected]
. Special Applicant Instructions
Please submit three professional references, unofficial transcripts, teaching philosophy, and media recording(s) (.PPT or .PPTX) and/or video weblink of a chorale conducting and/or a professional performance. Please label the performnace with date and location.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=236155&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency