Administrative Support I - Sciences Tracking Code843-280Job Description
Under general supervision of the department chairs, the administrative support person performs clerical and administrative duties related to the operations and enrichment of five academic departments (Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Studies, Health Sciences, and Physics). As such, this administrative support person is responsible for assisting the department chairs with routine operational and administrative details. Work involves the exercise of initiative, autonomy, and independence in various duties and extensive interface with multiple constituent groups. Furthermore, this administrative support person works collaboratively with a second administrative support person in the same office. Although the position supports the chairs of all five departments, review of the work will be coordinated by one of the chairs as designated by the Dean.
Performs administrative duties in the following areas, often without direct supervision:
Office management: Orders and maintains inventory of classroom and office supplies; receives and stores ordered lab materials; maintains all classrooms, labs, and offices within the Sage Science Center in good working order (supplies, AV equipment, printers, copiers, and fax); manages competing demands for resources among the five departments, including classrooms for classes, university meetings, and student groups; maintains student records and files; supports invited guests; manages local and national faculty searches as needed (e.g. organizes and acknowledges application materials received, drafts interview schedules, and arranges for hotel and meals, etc.); and assists new faculty as they begin their appointments. Performs other work as requested.
Communications: Answers telephone calls, monitors incoming departmental emails, and serves as a point of contact for visitors; serves as liaison to other departments, including the Dean’s Office, the Provost’s Office, Admissions, Facilities Management, Public Safety, Warehouse, Housekeeping, outside vendors, and others; assists in development and review of publicity and recruiting materials and office publications (web and print); works with Marketing to maintain the departmental websites; contacts prospective students and plans/implements recruitment activities.
Budget: The incumbent will be cross-trained to assist in the development of five departmental budgets and an administrative budget, including tracking of expenditures on a monthly basis to ensure all departments remain within approved budgets and for planning purposes; managing departmental and grant expenditures, including those charged to two large endowment accounts. Will assist in procurement of classroom, lab (including live specimens, chemicals, and medical supplies), and office supplies for a number of high-volume departments; assists with faculty travel (registration, airfare, hotel, etc.), and reimbursement of approved expenses.
Supervisory responsibilities: Supervises work-study students, including approving time; coordinates annual Natural Sciences Picnic, major mixers, and other community-building activities.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree or a minimum of five (5) years experience in a responsible administrative support position, or a combination of training and experience.
- Initiative and strong organizational skills to complete short-term tasks efficiently and support long-term planning in five diverse and growing areas of the university
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills; the ability to multitask; and the capacity to work effectively with a wide array of people (students, families, faculty, and other staff) in support of the missions of the departments served
- Ability to work effectively with highly confidential information
- Prepare written communications with little or no oversight
- Strong skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook are required
- Knowledge of Banner is desired
- A Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of five years of experience in responsible administrative support or an equivalent combination of training and experience, preferably in a similar position managing a busy office, is required
Salary Grade: 4
Completed COVID-19 Vaccine status required
Job LocationDeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular