Software Engineer IV - Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy, 80318 Location:
UMKC Volker Campus Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The mission of the Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy (MIDE) at the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC), is to improve the quality of life by bridging academia with industry to address wicked problems. MIDE is a fast-growing research institute founded to solve real-world problems by synthesizing physics and engineering principles with a pragmatic, results-driven, and collaborative philosophy.
For more information about MIDE, visit www.umkc.edu/mide/.
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area and the only public research university in our community. We offer more than 125 academic areas serving more than 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students from all 50 states and 85+ countries.
UMKC has a strategic plan with five pillars: provide exceptional student learning, success and experience; become a thriving discovery enterprise; transform our community and region with impactful engagement; foster an environment of invigorating multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion; and develop a strong and resilient people, process and physical infrastructure. We are building a community in which we support each other, learn from each other, and grow together. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university.
For more information about UMKC, visit www.umkc.edu.
The Missouri institute for Defense and Energy seeks an experienced Software Engineer IV with a background in application design and architecture, machine learning concepts, and managing the software development lifecycle. The Software Engineer IV is responsible for leading a small team of technical contributors comprised of faculty, staff, and students to provide value to the larger program efforts by designing and delivering software solutions to various defense-oriented opportunities. This role also includes participating in internal and external design and status reviews as a subject matter expert for R&D programs.
The ideal team member will demonstrate:
- A passion for solving high-impact, real-world problems
- A direct, pragmatic, problem solving approach for mission-critical applied research
- The ability to operate in agile and dynamic working environments as a core team player and independent individual
- Creativity and versatility in designing, prototyping, and validating pulse power solutions for complex electrical and computational problems
- A curiosity, openness, and willingness to learn new skills, methods, systems, and technologies
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to inform and guide team-members
- Excellent organizational skills to prioritize and execute on both long-term and short parallel assignments
- Develop software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, and studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes
- Follow the software development lifecycle for multi-program DevOps environments
- Determine operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, and intuitive code
- Prepare and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and configuration
- Train new developers and personnel to utilize DevOps and agile design processes
- Generate system, subsystem, and component requirements
- Identify conflicting requirements between disciplines or use cases and provide recommended compromises
- Provide leadership in identifying project timelines, assignment of project activities, and ability to identify critical path(s), technical challenges, and mitigation strategies
- Identify staff, equipment, technology needs to ensure program success and the costs required to fill the need
- Serve as a leader within MIDE to support the development and execution of the Institute’s mission, vision, and values
- Provide documentation including, but not limited to, technical reports and briefings as required
- Understands the synergistic nature of MIDE research projects and how to integrate with other sub-teams to achieve functional objectives
- Maintain safety, security, and compliance requirements
- Interface with multiple engineering and non-engineering cross-functional team members
- Assist team members and execute other duties as necessary
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and at least five years of related experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and a strong organizational philosophy to optimize deliverable timelines to sponsors
- Ability to hold and maintain a United States security clearance
- Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science or related field with a minimum of seven years of related experience
- Working knowledge of C#/Java, Python, and scripting languages for use on a Linux platform
- Experience developing and reviewing application architecture and design patterns
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full software development lifecycle, from conception, architecture definition, detailed design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance is preferred
- Innovative approach to problem solving, willing to try new ideas and approaches
- Experience in development of distributed, scalable and high-volume transaction applications
- Experience working with students, staff, and faculty across multi-disciplinary teams
Full Time/Part Time
Full time, on-site, Monday–Friday, 8 am – 5 pm or comparable. As a results-orientated organization, MIDE supports flexible schedules. Expect occasional travel for research collaborations, conference attendance, and offsite briefings.
$90,196 - $126,758. Salary commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity.
UMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental plans, 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits. For full benefit details, visit: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/benefits/
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of five references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800) 488-5288.
Note, you must provide a description of job duties for each Work Experience entry on your application. Please carefully review the application instructions section of our Careers page prior to submitting your materials.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: