NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
University Advising is hiring for multiple positions within various units (first year and college advising). Some weekend and evening work will be required. Certain positions may have the option to be located in Phoenix - Metro Area, Yuma, and / or Flagstaff - please include your preferences should you have one.
A letter of interest (cover letter), resume & at least three professional references must be included with the online application
Delivers basic academic advising services to promote and cultivate holistic academic and career success of students from the point of admission to graduation. Demonstrates basic level knowledge and skills in advising students and evaluates their abilities, interests, and talents in order to develop appropriate academic and career goals. Contributes to the optimization of the student experience and, in turn, improves student retention and success.
Student Development & Support - 60%
- Develop meaningful relationships with students based in empathy, compassion, and appreciative, developmental, and intrusive advising techniques.
- Interview and advise students regarding information, procedures and academic requirements of a specific program or major. Assist students in understanding requirements, evaluating academic abilities and setting goals. Present academic information to orientation groups and potential students and parents.
- Maintain high familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures of relationship building, coaching, and quality customer service.
- Systematically engage with learners to ensure their success and retention.
- Demonstrate core values of excellence in education, student success, educational access, diversity, integrity, professionalism and civility.
- Assess the student's stage of development (academic, career and personal) and promote student growth by determining suitable developmental tasks; assist students in the establishment of realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Responsible for a full range of coaching and advising activities with the primary goals of ensuring learner success and retention to graduation.
- Teach decision-making strategies and problem-solving skills to students by modeling and example.
- Work with students to resolve all issues to ensure ongoing satisfaction with program and successful progress to degree completion.
- Work with specific student populations and their particular needs (i.e., First-generation students, transfer students, nontraditional students, ROTC, international, Veterans, student athletes etc.)
- Assist students in navigating university policies and procedures, including forms and processes for program/plan declaration, enrollment help, petitions to add/drop a class and graduation assistance.
Caseload Management - 20%
- Monitor academic progress of students; analyze progress reports from instructors; determine eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree; identify current and potential needs or problem areas (e.g., study skills, tutoring) and refer students to appropriate campus resources for assistance; communicate findings to coaches and administrators.
- Maintain accountability for specific advising and coaching metrics and key performance indicators including the timeliness and accuracy.
- Review entire caseload on a regular basis and proactively engages in outreach to students.
- Take proactive measures to ensure prompt resolution of any potential obstacles, respond to student questions and concerns.
- Document student interactions according to unit requirements.
Collaboration & Teamwork - 10%
- Work together in a team setting to accomplish various projects, demonstrate empathy in support for one another and foster an environment of continuous improvement.
- Assist in the maintenance of advising tools, such as Academic Advisement Reports, Jacks Planner, catalog, Transfer Academic Plan, Jacks Path, etc.
Recruitment - 5%
- Assist in recruitment of potential students by advising them of general academic requirements of a specific college, including program admission if applicable.
- Evaluate transcripts from other academic institutions for application to degree program. Assist with process to apply any applicable credit to satisfy degree requirements.
Other - 5%
- May serve on various committees to give input in the development, refinement and updating of university/college academic policies and procedures.
- May facilitate seminars and workshops.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates or Bachelor's degree in a field related to area of assignment AND one year academic advising experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Degree in field pertinent to the college, higher education or academic services.
- Previous advisement and/or teaching experience.
- Experience and/or knowledge of practices, policies and procedures at NAU or other higher institutions.
- Experience serving undergraduates in an academic environment.
- Experience with technology specific to advising, i.e., PeopleSoft.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Basic knowledge and understanding of student learning outcomes.
- Knowledge of university and college curriculum content and requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, students, colleagues and community members of diverse cultural backgrounds, age ranges and experience levels.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to organize multiple projects at one time and follow through on deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Active listening skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge or theories related to student, career, and/or identity development.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Experience in delivering effective presentations to small and large groups.
- Experience delivering excellent customer service.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $38,000. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Applications received by May 18, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606237&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency