The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information. Posted Job Title
VPSE-VUB Math and Financial Literacy Instructor (SUMMER-TEMPORARY)Job Profile Title
Temporary Employee - Non-ExemptJob Description Summary
Veterans Upward Bound is a U.S. Department of Education grant-funded program administered by the University of Pennsylvania. Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) provides fundamental support to participants as they prepare to enroll into college, university, or trade school. The program serves veterans who have modest incomes and will be the first in their families to enroll in and graduate with a 4-year degree.
Summary of Position
This position will develop and deliver a curriculum on basic math skills and financial literacy that is designed to prepare program participants to succeed in their pre college performance and ultimately higher education pursuits. As part of the curriculum, there will be topics covered on money management, goal setting, budgeting, building, and maintaining credit, understanding debt, applying for FAFSA, and scholarship searches. This role will also design interactive activities to maximize student participation.
This is a temporary part-time position. Applicants may also be considered for longer term teaching positions should those opportunities arise.
Candidates for this position must have the demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities to work in complex virtual team and program environments and must be able to effectively use a variety of digital applications and tools to provide course content.Job Description
- Instruct students in basic math skills and financial literacy. Create an interactive and engaging learning environment where participants actively take part.
- Prepare instructional materials, lesson plans, and classroom presentations in support of participants educational advancement in accordance with the program goals and objectives.
- Develop and administer a formative assessment tool to measure students' academic progress.
- Maintain students' records (appropriate scores, skill deficiencies, and progress reports on a weekly basis).
- Prepare and submit syllabus for each term as well as provide weekly lesson plans to VUB Director and Program Manager. Use technology to support classroom instruction and other job-related duties.
- Provide at least two virtual drop-in-academic support hours per week for individualized assistance.
- Provide at least two virtual drop-in academic support hours per week for individualized assistance.
- Attend instructor monthly meetings throughout the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with a diverse range of students, including those from a low-income, first-generation college background.
- Experience in developing course curricula 9creating lesson plans and engaging activities.) Proven proficiency in math and financial literacy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize diverse tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess an acceptance of diversity and desire to assist students maintain a positive attitude.
- Bachelor's degree or professional certification in subject area.
- Two (2) years of teaching experience or equivalent part-time experience.
- Previous experience in overcoming academic and/or economic barriers. Upward Bound alumni a plus.
POSITION CONTINGENT ON GRANT FUNDINGJob Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Provost Interdisciplinary ProgramsPay Range
$7.25 - $155.75
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check may be required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.