Job Description SummarySaint Leo University has been changing lives for more than 125 years. We have been recognized by the Chronicle of Education as a Great College to Work for and ranked in the top 15% in U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 list of Best Value Schools, and in the 32% of Best Colleges for Veterans. Employees at Saint Leo University advance their careers in a rewarding and diverse environment that cultivates the leaders of tomorrow with the skills they need today.
The Tapia College of Business (TCOB) is the largest College in the University with more than 8,000 students in 8 multidisciplinary departments with 80 fulltime faculty and staff. TCOB offers degrees at the associates, bachelors, masters, and doctoral level in a variety of formats: on-ground traditional residential campus, on-ground in more than 30 centers in 7 states, online, and hybrid. TCOB pioneered the university’s first online doctoral program, the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) in 2014.
We are currently seeking an innovative, collaborative teacher-scholar to join the full-time economics faculty. This role will involve teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The faculty will have significant responsibility for teaching and advising in all undergraduate and graduate programs for the Department. The faculty member must be committed to the educational mission and core values of Saint Leo University, which include a demonstrated commitment to excellence, community, and responsible stewardship in education through practice and engagement. Faculty appointment is at the assistant level, nine (9) months with a normal teaching load of 12 credit hours per semester, based in Saint Leo, Florida.
Duties and Tasks:
- Teach undergraduate and graduate classes
- Teach traditional and non-traditional age students
- Teach both on-ground and online
- Stay current in field through research, certifications, and/or professional development
- Advise students
- Support program recruiting and retention efforts
- Support departmental and College initiatives
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chairperson and/or Dean
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- A Doctorate degree in Economics, or a closely related field, from a regionally accredited institution with credentials to teach Economics courses at the undergraduate and graduate level per accreditation guidelines (minimum of 18 graduate semester credits in Economics).
- Implement active learning strategies
- Utilize discipline-related computer programs
- Behave in keeping with Saint Leo University’s core values
- Communicate effectively
- Demonstrate professional development
- Interact and collaborate effectively with a diverse student and colleague community
- Willingness to take initiative and thrive in a dynamic environment
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Earned doctorate with 18 graduate semester hours with the ability to teach Finance courses (see Required Knowledge).
- 2-3 years higher education teaching experience
In addition to your curriculum vitae, the following documents are required for consideration. Please be sure to check the email under which you applied for important instructions on completing the remaining steps, including uploading documents in the second step of the application packet process as follows:
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy - (500 words or less), should highlight how your teaching philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – All letters of recommendation should be professional references and at least one (1) from a recent superior. If you do not have those documents at the time of application, please upload a text or word document stating, "Recommendations will be sent independently." Recommendation letters can be mailed to Academic Affairs at the address stated below
- Student Evaluations (six classes minimum) – Student evaluations from the last year (at least six classes, an even mix of graduate and undergraduate).
All official transcripts must be requested from the universities and/or colleagues attended and/or certified transcript evaluations/translations from World Education Services (WES) to be sent to the attention of Veronica Mantegna by email to email@example.com or hardcopy to the following address:
ATTN: VERONICA MANTEGNA
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS – MC 2006
SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY
PO BOX 6665
SAINT LEO, FLORIDA 33574
Full-time faculty positions are pending final budget approval prior to the start of the academic year.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success.
Why Work at Saint Leo?
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Saint Leo University is “Community.” Our team members all share the Saint Leo core values, positive attitudes, and problem-solving abilities, enabling them to provide excellent student centered service. Our mission is educating and preparing students for life and leadership in a challenging world. Thank you for your interest in joining the Saint Leo PRIDE!
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Saint Leo, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Available benefits based on employment status (Full Time vs Part Time).
- Inclusive Group Health Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Group Health Plan features include Teledoc, Surgery Plus!, Wellness Incentive Program, Nationwide Pet Insurance, just to name a few!
- Health Reimbursement Account (University Paid!) and Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and dependent options)
- Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, and Dependents)*
- Tuition Exchange opportunity for dependent of employees*
- Paid Personal Leave (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- 403b - Annual match 3%-9% of pay based on employee’s contribution. University match and fully vested within one month of hire date.
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance valued at 30k (University Paid!)
- Income Protection Benefits after one year
- Additional options for supplemental insurance
*Eligibility based on meeting required service period