Job Description SummarySaint Leo University has been changing lives for over 125 years. We have been recognized by the Chronicle of Education as a Great College to Work for, and ranked in the top 15% in U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 list of Best Value Schools, and in the 32% of Best College for Veterans. Employees at Saint Leo University advance their careers in a rewarding and diverse environment that cultivates the leaders of tomorrow with the skills they need today.
Saint Leo University, Florida's oldest Catholic education institution in the Benedictine tradition, currently enrolls more than 20,000 students on university campus, online and in regional centers throughout Florida and the Southeastern United States. The College of Education and Social Services (CESS) houses four disciplines and 10 programs within those disciplines. Criminal Justice, Education, Social Work, and Human Services are degrees offered in undergraduate, graduate, and two doctoral programs. One of the doctoral programs is in Education. The College in the University has over 4,000 students with 60 fulltime faculty and staff. Drawing on CESS's renowned faculty and practitioners, the College's program provides opportunities for personal and scholarly growth, job mobility, greater civic participation, and new ways to advance knowledge.
We are currently seeking a full time assistant level professor to join our team as the Education Dept.’s full time faculty member to teach students in our Elementary Education program on campus and online, beginning August of 2022. Faculty appointment is for nine (9) months with a normal teaching load of 12 credit hours per semester. located in Saint Leo, Florida. This position reports to the Undergraduate Education Dept. Chair, the Dean of the College and ultimately to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. This position will involve teaching, advising, and program recruitment to ensure the development, implementation and continual assessment of teaching strategies and processes to grow program capacity while remaining committed to student success. The faculty member must be committed to the educational mission and core values of Saint Leo University, which include a demonstrated commitment to excellence, community, respect, integrity, and responsible stewardship in education through scholarship, practice, and engagement.
Duties and Tasks:
- Teach undergraduate course load of 4-4 on-ground and online to include reading, content methods, seminars, and supervision
- Advise elementary education majors and assist in recruiting at local school districts
- Serve on university-wide committees
- Develop curriculum guides and monitor standard syllabi
- Participate in Florida Department of Education accreditation processes
- Collaborate with district Elementary Schools on professional development
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- An earned doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis on Elementary Education (or related discipline) from a regionally accredited university;
- Clinical Educator training for supervision preferred
- ESOL endorsement preferred
- One-two years, at least, of University and elementary education level teaching experience
- An established record of scholarly research, publications, or presentations in related discipline.
- Knowledge of higher education and elementary education goals and state standards
- Knowledge of online teaching platforms and experience in teaching online
- Qualified to teach graduate and undergraduate reading courses
- Strong interest in developing and leading innovative higher education programming.
- Applied (practitioner) experience
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working collaboratively with faculty, administrators, and community partners.
- Experience of teaching online or in blended formats
- Experience teaching at the graduate level is a plus
- Knowledge of the D2L Platform is helpful but training does exist for this online platform
- Experience teaching on-ground or in an online environment using D2L
- Ability to use technology to enhance learning
- Ability and willingness to take on diverse roles and multi-task
In addition to your curriculum vitae, the following documents are required for consideration. Please be sure to check the email under which you applied for important instructions on completing the remaining steps, including uploading documents in the second step of the application packet process as follows:
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy - (500 words or less), should highlight how your teaching philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – All letters of recommendation should be professional references and at least one (1) from a recent superior. If you do not have those documents at the time of application, please upload a text or word document stating, "Recommendations will be sent independently." Recommendation letters can be mailed to Academic Affairs at the address stated below
- Student Evaluations (six classes minimum) – Student evaluations from the last year (at least six classes, an even mix of graduate and undergraduate).
All official transcripts must be requested from the universities and/or colleagues attended and/or certified transcript evaluations/translations from World Education Services (WES) to be sent to the attention of Veronica Mantegna by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or hardcopy to the following address:
ATTN: VERONICA MANTEGNA
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS – MC 2006
SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY
PO BOX 6665
SAINT LEO, FLORIDA 33574
Full-time faculty positions are pending final budget approval prior to the start of the academic year.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success.
Why Work at Saint Leo?
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Saint Leo University is “Community.” Our team members all share the Saint Leo core values, positive attitudes, and problem-solving abilities, enabling them to provide excellent student centered service. Our mission is educating and preparing students for life and leadership in a challenging world. Thank you for your interest in joining the Saint Leo PRIDE!
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Saint Leo, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Available benefits based on employment status (Full Time vs Part Time).
- Inclusive Group Health Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Group Health Plan features include Teledoc, Surgery Plus!, Wellness Incentive Program, Nationwide Pet Insurance, just to name a few!
- Health Reimbursement Account (University Paid!) and Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and dependent options)
- Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, and Dependents)*
- Tuition Exchange opportunity for dependent of employees*
- Paid Personal Leave (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- 403b - Annual match 3%-9% of pay based on employee’s contribution. University match and fully vested within one month of hire date.
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance valued at 30k (University Paid!)
- Income Protection Benefits after one year
- Additional options for supplemental insurance
*Eligibility based on meeting required service period