Saybrook University, a non-profit accredited graduate school using a hybrid distance/residential learning model, seeks to hire Adjunct Faculty in our Psychology degree program. Innovative and progressive applicants are invited to join distinguished faculty, whose accomplishments reflect the quality and academic achievement of our students and graduates.
Our faculty are scholar-practitioners and leaders in their fields and professional associations, like the American Psychological Association in many of its divisions. All faculty, including adjunct professors, are effective educators, inspiring clinical supervisors, well-published scholars, and social activists for change. Our pedagogy includes a rich and diverse curriculum with a focus on critical and creative thinking grounded in humanistic principles. It combines best practices in hybrid online and residential education. Saybrook students are mature and proficient in the use of advances in technology applied in higher education. We prepare scholar-practitioners to engage the world in the 21st century.
The adjunct faculty positions will begin on January 10, 2022. Applications for adjunct faculty positions are accepted on a continuous basis and reviewed by the department when openings become available. Future teaching assignments are on a semester-by-semester basis, which may include fall, spring, and summer.
Under the direction of the Department Chair, the Adjunct Faculty member will engage students through discussion and assignments as outlined in the course syllabi, provide students with substantive feedback, and respond to student questions and concerns in a timely manner. The Adjunct Faculty member will also maintain communication with Department Administration, Faculty, and Students. Adjunct faculty teaching in the Psychology program should have relevant experience and a strong background in Creativity Studies (CS), Consciousness Spirituality, and Integrated Health, and Existential- Humanistic Psychology specializations.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsive and timely communication with Department/Program Chair and university communications
- Course delivery/development and syllabus review/updating
- Deliver high-quality innovative online courses that foster critical and creative thinking
- Ensure high academic standards and quality aligned with program goals
- Coordination with department leadership regarding course offerings and catalog documentation
- Potential to design innovative, progressive, and clinically responsive courses
- Attend one university-wide adjunct faculty meeting per academic year
- Attend Psychology department degree meeting where possible
- Monitor department minutes and communications accordingly
- Residential Conference Opportunities
- Potential for presenting workshops, course introduction, clinical training, and departmental meetings
- Faculty Senate
- May serve on the Faculty Senate in the representation of university adjunct faculty
- Earned doctorate in psychology or highest degree for discipline
- Previous experience in faculty leadership roles, particularly with regard to curriculum development, and working across departments
- Demonstrated scholarship, clinical practice, and/or accomplishments in the fields of humanistic, existential, multiculturalism, analytical and/or transpersonal psychologies
- Relevant supervision and teaching experience at the doctoral level (with a preference for those with online teaching experience), including supervision of dissertation research
- Commitment to multicultural and humanistic principles
- Clinical experience with ethnically diverse and/or other special populations
- Experience teaching and developing core psychology degree courses (e.g., foundations and critique, multicultural, etc.), as well as advanced theory in Consciousness Spirituality, and Integrated Health, Existential-Humanistic psychology, and Creativity Studies.
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University
- Dedication and enthusiasm to work with graduate students
- Able to offer online instruction regarding diverse theoretical perspectives
- Committed to excellence in teaching, practice, and research (experiences with online instruction is desirable)
- Committed to the value of diversity, inclusivity, and anti-racism
- Critical thinker able to integrate dialectical analysis, historical, and intersectional methodologies
- Thinks strategically, works independently, and collaboratively
- Affectively honest and open, with a high level of personal integrity
- Communicates effectively
- Consults with colleagues at all levels
- Well organized and able to meet complex workload demands
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and multiculturalism in education and in faculty employment
About Saybrook University:
Saybrook University was founded over 50 years ago by some of the greatest minds of the 20th century in Western progressive psychology and continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. A non-profit regionally accredited university known for its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University’s academic model puts the student at the center of everything we do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience. Saybrook offers advanced degrees in organizational systems, psychology, mind-body medicine, and human science, all in flexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education. Saybrook University is proud to be a community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursuing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities.
For more information, visit www.saybrook.edu.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.