Requisition Number:37316Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:Research FacultySchedule:Full-TimeDate Posted:07-Apr-2022 Close All
The Center for Advanced Decision Support for Water and Environmental Systems (CADSWES) is accepting applications for an IT Coordinator and Application Support Analyst. The person hired to this position will maintain and improve software development and deployment infrastructure; manage commercial software licensing; support desktop Windows systems; and analyze, develop and implement information security practices.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We AreThe Center for Advanced Decision Support for Water and Environmental Systems (CADSWES) is a research center within the Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering Department at CU-Boulder. With a team of professional research faculty, we research and develop scientific software that is widely used in the US and abroad for river, reservoir and hydropower planning and operational decision-making. (See CADSWES
Funded by multiple large water management agencies and commercialized by CU’s Venture Partners, this software is continuously and actively developed and maintained to keep up with evolving user needs and advances in numerical modeling, graphical user interface, data, visualization, and platform technologies. We engage in standard software development life cycle processes and license management to provide licensed software to hundreds of end users. Our pure research projects support graduate student research and aim to advance the science of decision support to meet the increasing challenges of water resources management. As an official supplier of software to the Federal Government and in handling data from federal and other agencies, we are required to conform to standard cyber security protocols. We seek a person with a range of IT knowledge and experience to collaborate with our small interdisciplinary team to meet our special research and development processes.What Your Key Responsibilities Will BeThis position will assist our IT and license management coordinators, ultimately assuming some of their responsibilities, and leading projects and efforts as needed, including working with development teams to define more modern and secure builds and deployment processes. Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Provide Windows desktop hardware support to CADSWES staff and developers, including identifying hardware requirements, researching available products, getting quotes and ordering hardware, and setting up and configuring new equipment with OS, active directory, drivers, backup systems, and security applications.
- Work with vendor support to diagnose and resolve hardware issues. Remove and replace components of workstations and laptops. Manage the database of hardware including tracking equipment for life-cycle purchasing and accountability for contracts.
- Provide Windows software support to CADSWES staff and developers, including installation of required software such as MS Office, email clients, developer tools, and others. Assist staff with configuration and use of email clients, remote desktop, and other applications. Research, test, and recommend new software tools to meet requested needs.
- Review and solve issues involving system performance, configuration, restoration, applications, and software tools.
- Evaluate and review upcoming technologies (software/hardware), including computers, mobile devices, peripherals for applicability to the IT needs of CADSWES research and development.
- Release developed software including official releases, beta releases and development snapshots using Git, Visual Studio and InstallShield. Communicate and coordinate with developers on release schedules and third-party dependencies. Test and validate releases and post to web download site.
- Assist with improvements to release procedures, including working with developers and CU’s OIT Dept to automate and streamline build and release processes, which may include new software tools, programs and scripts.
- Issue licenses and provide technical licensing and installation support to end users of the software. Using a software license management tool (Reprise), configure the licensing system including types, structures and strategies that use new licensing technologies and respond to user requirements. Maintain the license issuing and management process and license records. Create and maintain external user license and installation documentation and internal documentation for the licensing management system.
- Assist with planning and deploying a System Security Plan for CADSWES that conforms to NIST security controls.
What You Should KnowAll University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement
. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.What We Can OfferThe salary range for this position is $60,000 - $90,000.Benefits The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
. Be StatementsBe informed. Be resourceful. Be Boulder.What We Require
- Due to the requirement to access export-controlled data and information, only U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (green cards), or other protected individuals (i.e., persons designated as an asylee, refugee, or a temporary resident under amnesty provisions) may apply.
- B.S. or B.A. degree, preferably in an IT-related field, and 1+ years of experience with supporting IT needs of research and development team and research projects.
What You Will Need
- Deep technical understanding of desktop and laptop computers including Windows operating systems, Active Directory, VPN, hardware components and configuration, networking, and cyber security.
- Familiar with software release management process including software development, builds, testing, and release lifecycle and knowledge of commercial tools used for software development and releases including source code revision control systems such as Git or Visual Studio.
- Up-to-date knowledge of security threats (malware, viruses, ransomware, trojans & rootkits) and the tools and applications used to prevent their spread.
- Troubleshooting, diagnostic, and problem-solving skills to resolve problems with hardware, peripherals, software or web applications.
- Solid attention to detail and good organization skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, good verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to provide IT support to individuals with a wide range of computer knowledge.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint), Thunderbird email client, various browsers, Adobe Acrobat, Google Drive, Google Sheets & Docs, One Drive, backup & system recovery, JIRA.
- Scripting languages such as Perl, Python, Java or XML.
- Knowledge of commercial tools used for software license management such as Reprise RLM and software installer creation tools such as InstallShield.
- Knowledge of Sympa lists, Grouper, SSH & SFTP applications, and Linux commands.
- Familiarity with audio/visual equipment.
Special InstructionsTo apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Reference Letter (Not Confidential)
The following are optional for the initial application but will be requested at a later stage:
- Transcripts/Proof of Degree
- List of 3 References
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Kathryn BaackPosting Contact Email: [email protected]