: Family and Consumer SciencesLocations:
: Seattle, WAPosted:
: Apr 5, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 249894Position ID:
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission.
As part of our mission of cultural engagement, SPU is committed to building an excellent and diverse staff and faculty. Diversity is an ethos that is inseparable from our Christian faith. At SPU, we recognize diversity as a basic feature of God's creation and a core theme of the gospel. At the heart of our mission-centered commitment to becoming a more diverse community is a desire to represent the breadth of God's kingdom more fully.
We strive to become a workplace of choice and to recruit, develop, and retain faculty and staff who can embrace, value, and engage differences with humility and care. We invite you to join us on our journey by starting a career at SPU! Learn more about SPU's commitment to diversity and opportunities for our employees to deepen their capacity to serve our increasingly diverse student body.
Seattle Pacific University provides reasonable accommodation to applicants. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the application or hiring process please contact the Human Resources Department at (206)281-2809, or email [email protected]. Notification must be given at least five (5) working days before the accommodation is needed.
About the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences and the Interior Design Program
The Seattle Pacific University Department of Family and Consumer Sciences prepares students to address problems faced by individuals, families, and communities globally that involve food, clothing, and shelter through Christ-centered values of love, integrity, and justice. The Family and Consumer Sciences majors include Apparel Design and Merchandising, Food and Nutritional Sciences, Interior Design, Human Development and Family Studies, and FCS Secondary Education.
SPU's Bachelor of Arts degree in Interior Design is a rigorous academic program that educates and trains graduates to contribute to their communities by successfully entering the industry in a broad range of positions, to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam if desired, and to progress in their field. They emerge as much more than skilled pre-professionals. They have a reputation in the region for shining as quality individuals above and beyond standard qualifications who have both developed a strong work ethics and who value first and foremost the service and stewardship aspects of their profession.
Information about the Department and the Interior Design program can be found on the SPU website.
- Assistant Professor or Instructor position(s) - two 0.5 FTE appointments or one 1.0 FTE appointment available; position(s) are non-tenure track and are to begin September of 2022 or January of 2023, depending on successful candidate availability.
- Teach undergraduate major courses (~ 17 credits over 3 quarters for a 0.5 FTE position or ~ 33 credits over 3 quarters for a 1.0 FTE position ) that may be at various levels (sophomore through senior) and in various formats (lectures, studios, etc.); and a course(s) that meets the general education requirement.
- Provide support to the interior design program and the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences and support the university mission.
- Master's degree, with one degree in interior design or NCIDQ certification (for instructor position); or
- Ph.D. or terminal degree, with one degree in interior design or NCIDQ certification (for assistant professor position)
- Industry experience preferred
- Teaching experience (applicants should show evidence of excellence in teaching and mentoring undergraduate students)
- Applicants who can demonstrate effective mentoring of students from underrepresented backgrounds are especially welcome
- Strong commitment to the liberal arts and the ability to integrate Christian values into their teaching is expected
Position will remain open until filled.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. In the online process, please complete the official SPU application form and upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and any other documents that support the application (writing example, portfolio, or design exhibition). The University reserves the right to fill the position before the deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant. Only applications received through the online application portal will be considered.
Inquiries can be made to:
Dr. Sandra C. Hartje
Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
Seattle Pacific University
3307 Third Avenue West
Seattle, WA 98119