School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting laboratory tests, experiments and determinations in support of Duke University research operations.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting physical, chemical, biological and other research laboratory tests, experiments and determinations to obtain data for research purposes; compile, analyze, document and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results. Confer with principal investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular equipment as required. Review laboratory methods manual, scientific journals, abstracts and other literature for information applicable to research experiments.
● Maintain and monitor ultralow liquid nitrogen freezers to ensure the integrity of stored samples.
● Use Maestro Care to determine which surgeries might yield specimens for the BTBR, determined by likely tumor type. Some cases can require careful searching through Imaging and Notes.
● Use Maestro Care to obtain additional information particular to each case, including but not limited to demographics, vulnerability, and final pathology reports.
● Perform tissue collection in a research environment, which includes entering the Operating Room during surgeries to collect specimens.
● Collaborate with the pathologist or PA to choose the best selection from the available tissue for the purposes of our researchers, while reserving enough diagnostic tissue for the patients’ permanent archives.
● Decide whether tissue is appropriate to be distributed fresh and/or collected, or rejected, based on tumor type, tumor amount, and physical condition of tissue.
● Receive blood samples directly from the anesthesia team in the OR, before transferring the blood to individual vacuum tubes in Surgical Pathology.
● IIReceive brain tumor samples in Surg Path and dissect them as required for distribution.
● Create and use sterile field to obtain fresh samples for specific requests.
● Preserve collection samples in formalin, or by embedding in OCT and immediately freezing in vapor phase nitrogen.
● Distribute tissue to researchers.
● Store frozen specimens in ultralow liquid nitrogen freezers.
● Cut slides and loose sections from both frozen and formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue blocks.
● Stain slides using hematoxylin and eosin.
● Provide back up to the DNA technician by isolate DNA from whole blood
● Perform all duties in a manner compliant with cGMP/cGLP and CAP requirements.
● Process blood samples to isolate serum or buffy coat as needed.
● Ensure all Duke University Medical Center, state, and federal rules and regulations are followed regarding patient confidentiality and ethics.
● Maintain Bio-Repository database and specimen inventory systems for stored tissue and other bio-specimens.
● Clean, prepare, and sterilize sterile packs for fresh tissue collection.
● Help maintain laboratory equipment and supplies.
● Assist the Bio-Repository Manager and other Technicians with daily laboratory operations.
● Assist the Bio-Repository Manager and other Technicians with optimizing and updating SOPs for CAP certification requirements.
● Prepare the distribution reports for meetings.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training: Work generally requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
Experience: None required above education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.