: Access and Disability Resource CenterLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Mar 29, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under administrative supervision, assess needs for students with disabilities and determine and provide appropriate services, materials and accommodations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct intake, verify and assess students' medical or neuropsychological documentation of disability.
- Generate high volume of accommodation letters documenting students' approved course related accommodations.
- Ensure compliance with and assess ADA and 504 equal access needs for students with disabilities and determine appropriate reasonable accommodations and services.
- Meet and communicate regularly with students to advise and monitor academic progress and provide referrals for necessary academic and counseling services.
- Collaborate with campus partners including faculty and Testing Center to implement academic and testing accommodations for students with disabilities.
- Consult with faculty on individual student cases in order to ensure compliance with the ADA and Section 504 and provide professional development regarding supporting students with documented disabilities in order to enhance student success.
- Distribute assistive technology and adaptive equipment based on student documented need and student success efforts.
- Communicate with prospective students and parents for appointments and provide consultations to outside institutions and organizations.
- Support the development of partnerships with external providers of disability accommodations and services such as Braille, CART (closed captioning), sign language interpreters, or case management software.
- Develop and give presentations about disability services to faculty, staff, and administrators in Academic and Student Affairs.
- Develop and teach program orientation and appropriate learning modules for prospective students.
- Participate in college nights for students with disabilities.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- General supervision is received from the Manager, Access and Disability Resource Center.
- Informal supervision may be exercised over department student employees or student interns.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Master's Degree in Special Education, Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, Psychology, Education of the Blind, or Deaf Education or related field is required.
- One year of experience in interpreting equal access needs and appropriate reasonable accommodations based on the application of the ADA and Section 504 in higher education is required.
- Two years experience working with high school or college age special education students receiving disability accommodations in an academic setting is required.
- Experience with Word, Excel and current adaptive technology is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work in situations requiring sensitivity and tact are required.
- General office setting with little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day probationary period, employees are required to report to campus.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate