Director, Hamilton Analytical LabLocation:
Clinton, NYOpen Date:
Mar 30, 2022Description:
To oversee the operation of the Hamilton Analytical Laboratory (HAL), an in-house and commercial WD-XRF facility that provides chemical analyses of geological materials to support scientific research and education. Primary responsibilities include calibrating, maintaining, and operating the College’s WD-XRF spectrometer, as well as processing LA-ICPMS data provided by a partner institution. Job also involves supervision of a ½ time assistant, and coordination and training of undergraduate student workers. Person will also be responsible for maintaining a wide range of supporting laboratory equipment and will be expected to communicate with clients in a timely fashion.
- Calibrating, maintaining, operating, and reducing geochemical data generated by, the College’s WD-XRF spectrometer
- Processing LA-ICPMS data provided by a partner institution
- Supervision of a ½ time assistant, and coordination and training of undergraduate student workers
- Maintain a wide range of supporting equipment and instrumentation, ranging from mechanical rock crushers and pulverizers to high temperature muffle furnaces and analytical balances
- Communicate with clients to discuss details of submitted orders and to ensure that the lab can provide the data requested
- Participate in, and support, an annual week-long international XRF training workshop hosted by the College every summer
Candidates should have an advanced degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in either geoscience or analytical chemistry, with a strong knowledge of geochemistry and/or extensive training and experience with WD-XRF analysis.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of WD-XRF spectrometry
- Knowledge of the chemical compositions of Earth materials (rocks, soils, minerals)
- Strong mathematical skills and ability to manipulate and graph data in Excel
- Basic mechanical and electrical knowledge to help troubleshoot and maintain lab equipment
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, to communicate clearly with clients and student employees
- Good interpersonal skills and willingness to support the educational goals of Hamilton faculty and students
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Hamilton College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer and encourages diversity in all areas of the campus community.