Rider University’s Department of Public Safety invites applications for a Corporal who will serve as the assistant shift supervisor and field-training officer and will provide leadership, supervision and training for subordinate public safety personnel and student workers during shifts and special events in order to ensure proper functioning of day-to-day public safety operations. Among the primary responsibilities will be conducting a systematic and thorough patrol and security check of buildings and grounds to protect the University assets as well as providing safety and security for students, faculty, staff and other occupants and visitors; providing the campus community with assistance for non-emergency and emergency calls for service; responding to and evaluating incidents, events and situations assigned or observed; and conducting thorough preliminary & follow up investigations as assigned and preparing detailed and thorough written reports. This position requires flexibility with work schedule including but not limited to schedule changes, weekends, holidays, etc.Position Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years’ experience in law enforcement, security, emergency medical technician, fire fighter or US military service
- Satisfactory completion of an approved police/law enforcement-training academy or security officer training
- Must be able to prepare, read and correct incident, investigation and operational reports
- Excellent customer service, communication and de-escalation skills
- Experience working with a diverse community and committed to inclusive excellence
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
- Demonstrated effective communication skills and the ability to perform well under pressure situations
- Ability to meet and maintain physical requirements of the position
- Ability to work flexible hours and scheduled and non-scheduled overtime
This position has been deemed “essential” by the University to ensure the continuation of critical University operations, attend to the needs of students and others, and protect the University’s assets during an emergency or when the University has closed or suspended operations. University employees designated as “essential” personnel must remain on duty or report to work as regularly scheduled to avoid interruption of essential services unless directed or permitted to do otherwise, as indicated by their department supervisor.Position Preferred Qualifications/Experience:
About Rider University:
- A Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Sociology or a related field.
The Rider University community is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds. Location:
Rider University is committed to fostering an inclusive, vibrant living and learning community that embraces students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds and enables them to achieve success.
Through reflection and open, respectful dialogue, we develop responsible citizens who demonstrate academic understanding and compassion to grow and serve as leaders in a diverse and global world.
Candidates with a demonstrated commitment supportive of the multicultural needs of Rider University and the surrounding community are highly desired.
Rider University has been included as one of the nation’s best universities by US News & World Report and remained in the top tier in the Regional Universities – North category. Additionally, The Princeton Review named Rider among its “Best 387 Colleges” in the nation. Both publications have ranked the University favorably in their respective surveys for more than a decade.
Rider University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to excellence through diversity.
Lawrenceville, NJDo the essential functions of this job require lifting?:
YesIf yes, # of pounds.:
25 - 50 poundsDo the essential functions of this job require long periods of standing?:
YesDo the essential functions of this job require walking up stairs?:
YesDo the essential functions of this job require stretching?:
YesDo the essential functions of this job require bending?:
Justice, Diversity, Equity and InclusionDepartment:
Public SafetyPosition Type:
12 monthsWork Schedule:
Must be willing to work flexible schedule that may include working day, evening and overnight shifts, weekends, holidays, varied shifts with regularity. Will be required to work “freeze out” dates. Due to the potentially emergent nature of public safety,Open Date:
03/30/2022Special Instructions to Applicants:
Rider University is committed to diversity. Please provide a statement of your commitment to diversity.
The completion of a background check is required for all new hires.