Land, Buildings and Real Estate, Stanford, California, United States
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) is the operational core of Stanford University's physical campus. LBRE constructs and maintains the Stanford campus, where advancements across the academic spectrum are made possible. Our work is founded upon the collective value of dedication, innovation, expertise, teamwork, and continuous improvement. We are committed to serving the university's academic mission, as well as preserving and enhancing Stanford's 8,180 acres, and pride ourselves on supporting the teaching and research of the university as “Caretakers of a Legacy."
The Mission of the Stanford University Grounds Services Department is to provide a beautiful and safe outdoor experience for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
We pride ourselves in being the in-house service of choice since the University began. We provide a stewardship role in the proper care of all outdoor facilities. We are prompt, efficient, and professional in appearance and duties. We "tailor make" our services and are immediately responsive to our diverse clientele.
This Grounds Lead position is a Tuesday- Saturday work schedule.What you will do in this role:You will be responsible for (but not limited to):
To be successful in this role you must bring:
- Employees at this level do not have supervisory authority over other employees and are not expected to exercise independent judgment on final decisions regarding quality or quantity of work produced by such employees, or personnel actions such as hiring, promotion, discharge, or disciplinary measures.
- Under general supervision, employees in this classification direct routine phases of grounds maintenance and serve as a resource for grounds maintenance. Working under general supervision, they maintain the physical appearance and health condition of the grounds. These employees receive guidance and approval from the Grounds Supervisor in effecting changes in planting arrangements in their area.
- Assign and explain tasks to workers based on instructions specifications received from supervisor
- Inspect work for conformance with specifications.
- Train employees to meet quality and quantity standards.
- Advise supervisor of work progress.
- Promote adherence to safety rules.
- Lead a crew of Groundskeepers, Gardeners and Grounds Equipment Operators assigned to them by the Grounds Supervisor.
- Assign work on a task-by-task basis when needed.
- Recommend improvements in ground maintenance programs.
- May perform any of the duties described in the Gardener specification or other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED or equivalent required.
- Five years' experience in landscaping industry or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Valid California Non-commercial Class C license.
- Horticultural industry related certification is required
- In addition to the qualifications required for the Gardener, the Grounds Lead classification requires the following demonstrated qualifications:
Additional Information:Physical Requirements*:
- Ability to train others in groundskeeping and equipment operating duties
- Demonstrated strong communications skills (both verbal and written). Ability to understand and follow job-related instructions given in English, either verbally or in writing.
- Must be able to provide direction to other workers
- Must know symptoms of common weeds, pests, and diseases; must know the common remedies for such pests and diseases (or where to go to find a solution).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class C Driver's License.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, twist/bend/stoop/squat, operate hand and/or foot and hand controls, grasp forcefully, and/or lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 10-40 pounds and 100 pounds with assistance.
- Occasionally perform seated work, kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other) reach/work above shoulders, perform work which require light/fine grasping,
- Rarely, perform desk-based computer tasks, use a telephone, write by hand and/or sort/file paperwork or parts.
- Required to wear appropriate issued uniform.
- May be required to work overtime, evenings, and weekends, including Holidays, sometimes in inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- May be exposed to noise >80db TWA
- May be exposed to allergens, pollens, dust and fertilizers and pesticides
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/ and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement at https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/hrprocesses- policiespolicies/labor-relationscollective-bargaining.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job descriptionWhy Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture
and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
All Stanford University employees are subject to all COVID-19 requirements, which includes being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 pursuant to our vaccination policy.
*The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/2973232
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency