DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine, Community Practice Division Practice Director – Orthopedics, Inverness Health Care Program DirectorPosition #00795324 – Requisition #25319
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:Anschutz: https://www.ucdenver.edu/docs/librariesprovider284/default-document-library/3000-general-admission/3012---covid-19-vaccination-requirement-and-compliance.pdf?sfvrsn=4e9df3ba_2
Exemptions vary by campus location/department. Campus/Unit-Specific Exemptions:
Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Community Practice Division has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Health Care Program Director, Practice Director - Orthopedics, Inverness position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Nature of Work:
The Practice Director is responsible for managing staff, operations, budgets, patient access, and patient, physician, and staff satisfaction across specialties. This position assesses current physician practice and daily operations, identifying areas of improvement by working with and reporting to the Regional Director of Clinical Operations and works in a triadic partnership with the practice’s Medical Director(s) and the Department leadership (Chairs & Administration). This position assists in developing plans to expand market share, to promote and maintain high quality care, to expand and improve upon clinical and technical operations, while maintaining top tier patient, physician, and staff satisfaction. This position is also responsible for monitoring financial performance to meet/exceed budgeted targets.Position Duties and Responsibilities:Financial:
- Monitors and assists in development of the annual budget including projection for annual physician, procedural and ancillary visits.
- Ensures achievement of budget performance and strives to outperform the budgeted margin for the practice (revenue/visit; net income/visit).
- Identifies/reviews P&L, charges, and expenses regularly to ensure accuracy and ensures operational revenues cover operational costs, especially for new services/programs.
- Monitors & ensures coding flags/recommendations are promptly attended to and appropriately edited by providers.
- Develops and revises contingency plans monthly to ensure patient access and visit volume targets are met.
- Reviews operational reports (missing charges, late charges, open encounters, denials, etc.) to identify trends or issues and follows through on addressing any issues.
- Determines and justifies needs for systems equipment and supply purchases. In collaboration with the Medical Director, develops and reports on justifications for capital equipment and new programs.
- Assesses and revises, as necessary, an appropriate staffing/skill mix for the practice and applicable diagnostic and procedural areas.
- Assesses and adjusts exam and procedural room assignments to physicians and Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) to maximize efficiency and improve workflows.
- Communicates and ensures compliance with CU policies and procedures.
- Reviews and implements all necessary operational policies and ensures alignment with organizational policies. Follows chain of command and presents all new clinic policies to CU Medicine’s Policy and Procedure Committee. Implements standardized workflows and adapts practice team accordingly.
- Continuously reviews and adjusts business and clinical operations in order to maximize workflow efficiency, staff productivity, and patient access.
- Monitors usage and oversees the working order and use of stock supplies.
- In collaboration with other CU practices, supports the physicians/APPs at satellite locations as applicable.
- Regularly assesses accessibility and efficiency of triage operations and adjust processes accordingly.
- Regularly assesses front desk operations (reception, registration, scheduling, co-pays, etc.) for accuracy and efficiency and adjusts processes accordingly.
- Reviews EPIC processes for opportunities for improvement among physicians and staff; securing necessary assistance (training, optimization, billing, coding, etc.) to address issues.
- Regularly monitors phones statistics and performance to identify opportunities for improvement and implements action plans as necessary
- Routinely monitors wait times (patient access, time-to-appointment, exam room, waiting room, etc.) and develops plans to address issues with Medical Director, faculty and staff.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies (CDPHE, CMS, OSHA, etc.)
- Develops a Quality Improvement (QI) plan for the practices and reports on the components at least quarterly.
- Critically analyzes QI data and formulates action plans as needed each quarter.
- Completes all QI audits and ensures that audits are turned in on time.
- Utilizes appropriate benchmarks to assess performance and stimulate change when necessary.
- Ensures staff knowledge and participation in QI activities.
- Regularly reviews patient satisfaction data and addresses a minimum of two areas per fiscal year for targeted and significant improvements.
- Ensures that the service expectations of both internal and external customers are met and/or exceeded.
- In collaboration with Community Practice HR, ambulatory leadership, and with physician input, is the final decision maker for all staff hires into the practice.
- In collaboration with Community Practice HR, ambulatory leadership, and with physician input, is the final decision maker for all terminations or high-level disciplinary measures.
- Collaborates with Medical Director on professional performance appraisals for employees.
- Assures completion of organizational and site-specific annual staff competencies, seeking input from appropriate resources when needed to assess the professional’s business and/or clinical competence.
- Encourages and supports professional growth and/or staff activities that directly relate to the developmental needs of the practice and staff.
- Serves as a role model, mentor, and professional colleague for other members of the management team by lending support and sharing opportunities for success.
- Cultivates and environment where physicians and support staff work together as a team to improve practice operations.
- Reviews turnover statistics and regularly solicits feedback from staff and physicians on job satisfaction and addresses issues accordingly.
- Develops action plans to address priority issues in employee surveys.
Direct Patient Interactions:
- Participates in strategic planning for the practice and each of the divisions.
- Coordinates the implementation and integration of new programs and physicians in the practices.
- Plans and/or participates in activities in the community as appropriate.
- Suggests opportunities for expansion based on patient population needs, physician referrals or community access.
- Participates in expediting patient care as necessary.
- Expresses empathy in patient interactions and focuses on the needs of the patient, staff, providers, practice and organization simultaneously.
- Promptly addresses patient complaints and other patient-related issues.
- Serves as a champion for patient safety.
- Communicates in a competent and effective manner to meet patient and/or family needs and regulatory or organizational requirements.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team, the patient, and family to promote efficient patient care.
- Serves as a mentor and preceptor for new staff and as a constant resource to all staff.
- Ensures that practice facility meets regulatory and infection control standards.
- Works with appropriate department or supplier of services when facility services are interrupted.
- Works with contractor(s) for maintenance of the facility.
- Ensures that safety policies and procedures are followed by all personnel at the facility.
- Complex project management
- Data collection, evaluation, management and analysis
- Analyze and select appropriate data and analytics to present to the department/division
- As assigned
- Collaborates with the Department Financial & Division Administrators, Department Chair, Division Chiefs, office Medical Director for departmental financial management and administration.
- Collaborates with CU Medicine Procurement Manager, Operations Directors, and the Department Financial & Division Administrators for equipment, supplies and contractual agreements and analyses.
- Staff: Direct supervisory responsibility for all clinical and non-clinical staff in office and procedural areas.
- Budget Development
- Budget Management
- Corrective Actions
- Performance Reviews
- Salary Administration
- Staffing, Hiring, Termination
- Within Department
- Risk Management
- Safety & Infection Control
- Business Office
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Insurance Companies
- Regulatory Agencies
- Miscellaneous business partners, utilities, etc.
- Other healthcare agencies
The physical demands, work environment factors and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Frequency:
- N= Not at all
- R= Rarely: Less than once an hour
- O= Occasional: 1-4 times/hour or up to 1/3 of the shift
- F= Frequent: 5-12 times/hour or up to 2/3 of the shift
- C= Constant: More than 2/3 of the shift
StandFPush or pull with hands/armsFWalkFLift hands above headFWalk on uneven &/or slippery surfacesOClimb or balanceOSitFStoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bendFUse of handsFClimb stairsOForceful grip w/ handsOTalkCReach w/ armsFHearCLifting up to 10 lbsOWork in outdoor weather conditionsRLifting up to 25 lbsOAwkward posturesRLifting up to 50 lbsOClose vision (20” or less)CCommunicateCDistance vision (20’+)CInterpersonal skillsCPeripheral visionCAbility to adjust focusCDepth perceptionCWork in a loud environmentF
- Position requires the ability to work in multiples spaces (on and off site)
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this position. This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Healthcare Administration, Nursing or a related field5+ years job-related/clinic experience3+ years clinic management Managerial Experience: 3-5 years Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s Degree in Business, Healthcare Administration, or Nursing Administration.Practice management experience in area of specialtyStrong organizational and communication skillsManagement of budget, purchasing, and/or accountingMS Office: Excel, Power Point, Word, OutlookAmbulatory quality improvement (QI) experienceExperience in use of registry data and quality systemsBilingual, Spanish-speakingCertified Medical Practice Executive (CPME) Registered Nurse (RN), State of ColoradoPreferred Computer Skills:EPICKronosLawsonMyBIRequired Skills:
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels, to include physicians, leadership, and staff within the various affiliate organizations (UCH, Children’s Colorado, CU Medicine, CU SOM)
- Ability to work within large, complex healthcare systems
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to compile complex reports and develop presentations
- Ability to compose letters and memorandums
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures
- Ability to function independently and manage own time and work tasks
- Ability to lead work teams
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and establish direction
- Ability to organize workflow
- Ability to perform basic filing, office procedures and word processing
- Ability to plan, coordinate and develop multiple projects
- Ability to work as an effective team member
Salary and Benefits:
- Skilled job requiring high level of adaptability and interpersonal skills
The hiring rate (or budgeted rate) for this position begins at $76,846 per year. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary rate represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the rate at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Job Category:
Health CarePrimary Location:
Mar 29, 2022Unposting Date: