School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford, California, United States
Founded in 1892, Stanford University Press publishes 140+ books a year across the humanities, social sciences, law, and business. Our books inform scholarly debate, generate global and cross-cultural discussion, and bring timely, peer-reviewed scholarship to the wider reading public.
We are currently seeking a Production Editor to edit and coordinate the production of 30+ academic and trade titles. Titles range across a variety of subject areas including anthropology, Asian studies, business, history, Jewish studies, Middle East studies, religion, and sociology. The Production Editor will directly manage authors and freelancers for most assigned titles and oversee full-service book production vendors on others.
Primary responsibilities include
Education and Experience
- Oversee the editing and production from manuscript to book.
- Supervise the work of freelance copy editors and proofreaders and prepare manuscripts for design.
- Establish new procedures and/or methods to improve book development.
- Contribute to the design process to ensure each manuscript is developed according to overall press production functions and overall departmental goals.
- Maintain the production schedule.
- Inspect jacket copy, jacket mechanicals, and bluelines, and collaborate with design staff and marketing personnel.
- Devise creative solutions to problems that arise.
- Adhere to an established budget, and explain variances.
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Additional Highly Preferred Skills Knowledge of Filemaker, Acrobat, Word, Excel, plus overall familiarity with email and browser software Thorough understanding of the Chicago Manual of Style Experience with the Scribe Publishing platform is desirable.
- Strong experience managing print projects, possessing a strong knowledge of traditional and digital printing.
- Comprehensive familiarity with all phases of book production, including in-depth knowledge of copy, editorial, project management, and the basic rudiments of art and design.
- Understanding of typical book production graphic software.
- Ability to work in a diverse department to publish books within deadlines and budget.
- Ability to identify problems swiftly when they arise and exercise good judgment in developing solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to interface with internal departments and external book publication/production community.
Note: The position is currently remote, but at some point, full-time onsite attendance at our Redwood City office might be required.Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks
empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classifications and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/2971995
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency