New Orleans, LAOpen Date:
Mar 28, 2022Description:
The Postdoctoral Fellow will serve as Research and Learning Manager (RLM) to lead research and learning activities for the Sahel Collaboration and Communications (SCC) activity. SCC presents a unique opportunity for measuring and analyzing the effectiveness of collaboration for achieving sustainable improvements in food security resilience in Burkina Faso and Niger. It is a backbone project that attempts to catalyze USAID’s investment resources across its portfolio of projects and activities. The incumbent will lead and supervise research and learning work, including an Innovative Grants Program (IGP), and staff and consultants working for Tulane University in Niger and Burkina Faso.
The incumbent will be responsible for implementing SCC’s shared Learning Agenda by continuing to build SCC’s inventory of research related to the LA’s key learning themes, producing research to answer key learning questions; supervising the research and learning coordinator; and simultaneously keeping up to date on research produced by SCC’s partners and ensuring Tulane and the IGP is producing high-quality research products to answer priority learning questions. This position will provide technical support to the innovative grant program, including pre-award planning and communications, pre-solicitation, calls for proposals, organizing and facilitation committees review of proposals, co-chairing steering committee meetings and providing technical support and mentoring to local innovation grant teams.
The incumbent will work closely with Tulane Headquarter-based lead and the GIS specialist/Co-Investigator in support of project strategy and implementation of the strategy in the field. The incumbent will provide technical supervision for the Research and Learning Coordinator and facilitate the timely completion of agreed upon deliverables and activities for the entire Tulane team by supervising field activities, identifying and providing solutions to project implementation barriers in the field and notifying the PI/Co-PI and Project Manager of issues requiring their intervention. They will be responsible for networking with the leadership of implementing partners and government entities to create buy-in for learning/research activities and they will create communication channels with Learning Advisors and MEL directors to ensure that the learning/research team has access to evaluation and research data/reports and to ensure that learning products are widely disseminated and utilized. They will coordinate closely with the SCC MEL, KM and CLA teams. This position will also represent Tulane University at key SCC events and external meetings relevant to SCC research and learning. This position is for the duration of one year initially. The successful candidate will be based in Niamey, Niger and will travel frequently to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.Qualifications:
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have completed or be nearing completion of a doctoral degree in public health, agricultural economics and/or development or related field
- Experience working in Adaptive Management, Research, Monitoring-Evaluation-Learning
- Fluency in English and proficiency in French.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES:
- Experience providing technical and operational leadership in research and learning systems and effectively coordinating higher education initiatives
- Understanding of the use of CLA in a resilience context
- High level of skill in the use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT), digital analytical tools such as data collection and analysis software, a high level of competency in the use of the Microsoft package of office support
- Experience in the use of multiple method evaluation techniques and developmental evaluation to facilitate evidence-based learning across internal and external teams
- Ability to ensure that research and data collection is adaptive to the changing contexts while in the best practice and Do no Harm approaches
- Ability to design, implement, and manage a shared Learning Agenda and effectively communicate with SCC’s partners, Mercy Corps, the Tulane team, and USAID, coordinating with a team across multiple organizations and in multiple locations
- Ability to contribute to the development of programmatic work plans, quarterly reports, annual reports, in addition to papers summarizing project results and evidence
- Skilled in providing high quality written contributions to keep Tulane team informed about activities
- Ability to synthesize data in both a quantitative and qualitative format for multiple audiences (researchers, technical and non-technical audiences), taking the lead on drafting technical papers and adapting learning products to partner needs
- Experience working in developing country contexts, particularly in the Sahel.
Applicants must submit:
- Cover Letter
- Writing sample
- Contact information (telephone number & e-mail address) for at least three references.
For further information about the position, please contact Sarah Truxillo (firstname.lastname@example.org).Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Tulane University is located in New Orleans - a city with tremendous history of diverse cultures, community, and languages. Tulane University is committed to creating a community and culture that foster a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are intentionally seeking candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow.
Tulane University is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity by phone at 504-865-4748 or email email@example.com.