PG191224EPInternal Recruitment :
Climate Data AnalystAnticipated Hiring Range:
$60,000 - $75,000Work Schedule:
Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pmJob Location:
Asheville, NCDepartment :
NC Institute of Climate StudiesAbout the Department:
The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) is a UNC inter-institutional research institute promoting the discovery of new knowledge about global, regional, and local climate variability and its impacts; and providing information that is critical for determining trends and validating climate forecasts at all these spatial scales. NCICS’ principal activity is the operation of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies in North Carolina (CISESS NC). CISESS’ primary objective is to document the natural atmosphere-ocean-land-biosphere components of the Earth system and how they interact with human activities as a coupled system through collaborative and transformative research activities and to transition that research into operational applications that produce societal benefits.Essential Job Duties:
The NC Institute for Climate Studies provides support to the NOAA Technical Support Unit (TSU) of the U.S. National Climate Assessment (NCA) and is in need of a Climate Data Analyst to provide scientific and programmatic support in the development, implementation, and quality control assessment of in situ and remotely sensed products and applications on a variety of scales using an extensive array of computing resources and software. A primary responsibility of this position is to work within a team providing scientific support for reports of the NCA.
The Climate Data Analyst will:
This position is located in Asheville, NC.Other Responsibilities:
- Independently support, develop, design, and/or execute moderately complex research activities for a single or multiple research projects.
- Provide scientific programming expertise to develop high quality large-scale research datasets through the creation / modification / adaptation of real time application software for utilization in analysis/calibration of environmental data including inputs/analysis/outputs and quality control assessment of end products.
- Independently perform climate data collection and analysis.
- Participate in environmentally related studies and analysis involving large scale environmental data sets and support research efforts in this regard.
- Contribute to the scientific analysis of climate data sets for the purposes of improving data quality and advancing the interpretation of in situ and remotely sensed observations.
- Plan, develop, and implement evaluation and analytical tools and applications to ensure integrity of datasets and other end products.
- Participate in formulating research methods approaches, suggesting options for quality improvement and solutions.
- Facilitate research to operation transitions between data set development activities and the operational use of these data sets in activities such as monitoring and research.
- Develop climate data analysis products, both graphical and textual, and associated written material based on the data analysis.
- Provide technical support for the scientific content for the National Climate Assessment (NCA) to ensure that tight production deadlines and schedule are met.
- Assist with technical assessments of the state of knowledge on selected topics.
- Develop inventories of climate information relevant to the NCA.
- Assist with evaluation of data and analysis products to ensure they meet NCA data quality standards.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Work cooperatively with Institute staff, partners, team members, and/or external stakeholders in support of task and project objectives.
- Make timely presentations at appropriate scientific venues as requested or needed.
- Fully participate in unit (NCICS, NCEI, etc) activities and meetings.
- Present research results and/or participate in the preparation of publications of research results for peer-reviewed journals.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a relevant Earth science (e.g., atmospheric sciences, environmental sciences, etc), mathematics, computer sciences, engineering, or related field, OR a bachelor’s degree with five or more years of relevant experience.
- Two or more years of experience working with in situ and remotely sensed climate data in large scale databases.
- Two or more years of experience with UNIX/Linux systems including high performance computing environments.
- Demonstrated computer programming proficiency utilizing modern programming and analysis languages (e.g., Python, R, Matlab, Fortran, IDL, etc).
- Evidence of scholarly productivity such as journal publications.
- Demonstrated experience in performing self-directed scientific data analysis and applications programming.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Solid interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make positive team contributions.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and creatively.
- Have the aptitude and willingness to serve the requirements of all team functions.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Master’s degree in a relevant Earth science (e.g., atmospheric sciences, environmental sciences, etc), mathematics, computer sciences, engineering, or related field.
- Four or more years of experience working with in situ and remotely sensed environmental observations and/or model datasets including interpretation and analysis.
- Experience in a team environment addressing scientific or technical challenges.
- Two or more peer-reviewed publications in environmental sciences or a related area
- Experience in an academic research setting.
- xperience working in a federal facility environment.
- Working knowledge of federal Data Evidence Act, 508 compliance, etc.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
10/01/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
REPOST – This position is being reposted. Previous applicants DO NOT need to reapply.Position Number:
In addition to your application please submit a resume/CV, cover letter, and the contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
Please ensure that all supplemental questions are fully answered.
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
063001 - NC Inst of Climate StudiesAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.