Duke Regional Hospital has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville and Alamance counties and the surrounding communities for nearly 40 years. With more than 1,900 employees, its focus is on providing outstanding medical care with compassionate, personalized service in a comfortable community hospital setting. Duke Regional Hospital has 369 inpatient beds and offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's services, and heart and vascular services, and also offers care at the Duke Rehabilitation Institute and Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center. In fiscal year 2018, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 16,299 patients and had 165,953 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as #10 in North Carolina and #4 in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2018-19.
- Perform a variety of food and customer service tasks involved in receiving and processing patient diet orders.
- Visit patients for menu selections entering selections into appropriate computerized equipment.
- Assemble and pass trays to patients; requisition supplies according to established par levels on patient floors.
- Part- Time; 20 Hours per Week 4p-8p, with alternating weekends
- Visit patients on assigned floors upon admission to explain menu process and collect diet preferences.
- Visit patients to obtain their menu selections and input selections into hand held computer.
- Determine food preferences for patients on routine modified diets.
- Order additional food items as necessary.
- Maintain and calculate appropriate patient data according to established guidelines.
- Deliver food trays and supplements to patients.
- Compare trays to patient census, checking for accuracy and correcting when necessary.
- Ensure proper food temperature by properly assembling and delivering patient trays.
- Detect and report improperly prepared food to supervisor immediately.
- Revisit patients after passing trays to assure patients are satisfied.
- Collect all trays from patients after meal service and transport to dishroom.
- Accurately record all items delivered to the floor.
- Clean and maintain galleys according to established cleaning procedures.
- Follow all safety procedures for using equipment and chemicals.
- May assist in tray line set up, ensuring that quality standards are maintained and safe food handling guidelines are adhered to.
- May assist in the care and maintenance of work areas and alert supervisors to problems as they arise.
- Review and verify accuracy of diet order and allergen information by contacting appropriate source of information if records indicate potential discrepancies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read/follow instructions.
- Ability to read/audit patient menu items.
- Ability to prepare/handle food using safe food handling practices using HACCP standards.
- Ability to maintain accurate and updated patient dietary information.
- Knowledge of basic math.
- Customer service skills.
- Data entry skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to lift/push/pull 50 pounds.
- Ability to read/write and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and orally.
1 year food service experience with customer contact, preferably in a patient care setting.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.