: Division of STEM and Health CareersLocations:
: Skokie, ILPosted:
: Mar 23, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For over 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, direct the operational activities and provide instructional support services in the Laboratory.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Deliver chemistry/biology/physics laboratory curricula in coordination with appropriate science departments and fellow science laboratory assistants.
2. Prepare and/or Supervise staff and student employees in lab preparations for chemistry/biology/physics lab experiments.
3. Review experimental procedures and equipment with lab instructors.
4. Assist in coordinating lab schedules and experiments.
5. Assist students and instructors as necessary.
6. Develop budget requests purchase and maintain inventory of supplies, equipment, and educational materials, examine bid specifications, and initiate request orders for supplies and equipment.
7. Initiate and supervise the maintenance and repair of lab equipment and instruments and initiate requests for supervise routine repairs of lab facilities, e.g., drains, faucets, etc.
8. Maintain the safety, security and cleanliness of assigned Oakton laboratory facilities.
9. Collect, organize and remove chemical wastes from the labs to a designated area. Maintain a list of chemical wastes.
10. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Administrative supervision is received from the Division Dean, Program Chair, and/or designated faculty member.
Functional supervision is exercised over two to four student employees.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
1. Bachelor's in Science with specific course work in Chemistry and Biology or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is required.
2. Two years of related chemistry/biology lab experience with supervisory experience preferred.
3. Ability to use special laboratory instruments, computers and chemistry/biology-based software. Position requires record keeping, equipment organization, and routine maintenance skills for smooth operation of laboratory activities.
4. At times odors may be present. Safe handling of chemicals is required at all times
Monday - Friday 8am - 12pm
25 hours per week
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate and Mask Requirement.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.