Administrative Support II - Dean of Students' Office Tracking Code833-280Job Description
Provides direct administrative support and assistance to the Dean of Students, Chief Student Advocate for the university. Assists the Vice President of Campus Life and Dean of Students Office Suite as a member of a multi-person team that is often the front line for students, parents and other community members for the larger division of Campus Life & Student Success and the university. Pairs skills in communication, listening, de-escalation and compassion with organization, navigation of technology systems and efficiency.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages Dean of Students phone line by assisting callers directly with their concerns whenever possible, directing to the appropriate office within the university; providing them a listening ear as well as excellent customer service.
- Assists in promoting a welcoming space and climate that prioritizes an inclusion and student success mindset. Utilizes advanced listening skills and competency around diversity, inclusion and risk assessment in interactions with community members. Assists with traffic flow in the office suite, including helping with meetings for the Vice President and Director of Community Standards.
- Manages Dean of Students fast moving schedule by setting appointments and scheduling large group meetings. Helps to balance Deans meeting and office work time, prioritizing needs of those trying to schedule with overall immediate and longer-range goals of the office. Forecasts weeks and months ahead as well as at the immediate week to keep schedule flowing and maximizing the Dean of Students time. Reserves space and prepares for larger meetings as needed.
- Administratively supports Student Care Team (HattersCare) committee work under direct committee leadership of the Dean. Manages input of data in Maxient online system. Uses Maxient efficiently during weekly meetings to help maximize meeting time. Obtains reports from Maxient. Reminds committee of deadlines.
- Provides administrative assistance to the Vice President of Campus Life & Student Success in the absence of their Executive Assistant. Assists the Executive Assistant to the Vice President with support for Divisional meetings, suite student employees, supporting other professionals throughout the division and assisting with administrative tasks that support the division as a whole.
- Cognizant of diverse holistic needs of students and families, working to assess how to best help to triage based on presenting problem, time of year and current flow
- Administratively supports process for student Medical Withdrawal and return process. This involves assisting students and families often through some of their hardest experiences and times at the university. Helps families navigate systems as needed.
- Provides email faculty notification for students experiencing medical, family or mental health stressors that are impeding on their educational experience
- Manages Dean of Students and Community Standards budgets including obtaining information from Banner system and tracking spending through excel. Reconciles budget statements and credit card purchases. Liaisons with purchasing office and outside vendors.
- During periods of campus crisis, works to best support Dean of Students and on-call staff team as needed.
- Represents the office and the division of Campus Life & Student Success positively to campus, students, parents, staff, faculty and community members.
- Assists with projects as needed for Dean of Students directly and for larger division of Campus Life & Student Success. Will participate in some shared divisional responsibilities.
- Works to improve overall efficiency within the office.
- Member of university committees that support and provide professional development to administrative assistants.
- Performs other site and position specific functions as assigned.
Minimum Education: HS Diploma; some college preferred
- Desire to work within a fast-paced team to help administratively support the Dean of Students to advocate for the student population as a whole, with a focus on student success and well-being
- Passion for student success and development
- Advanced technology skills; desire to learn new systems and processes
- Advanced listening and customer service skills
- Team player, positive outlook, patient and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain confidential files and information
- High school graduate with some college experience preferred
- At least three years of experience as an administrative assistant or in a related job; preferably in higher education
Salary Grade: 5
Completed COVID-19 Vaccine status required
Job LocationDeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular