Assistant Professor of Practice in Brewing Science
Chemistry & Biochemistry
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
This position is a full-time professor of practice position. This position is not eligible for tenure.
Assistant Professor of Practice in Brewing Science:
- Provides excellent instruction in upper-division coursework related to the Brewing and Fermentation Science certificate program at NAU. Coursework includes Principles of Brewing Science (CHM 310), Brewing Process Technology (CHM 311), Sensory and Quality Aspects of Beer/Lab (CHM 312/312L), Beer Basics (HA 372) and other courses as required
- Coordinates internship opportunities for students in the craft beer and brewing industry (CHM 403C/BIO 408/HA 208)
- Serves as a technical liaison between the brewing science education program at the university and local, regional, and statewide industry and trade organizations in brewing and fermentation sciences
- Management and upkeep of analytical instrumentation relevant to the brewing science laboratory
- Serves as point of contact for engagement efforts with statewide and national industry trade groups in brewing as well as community partners, and helps administer scholarships associated with the certificate
- Provides excellent instruction in other courses of relevance to chemistry or other brewing science related fields as needed
NAU affirms the importance and critical need for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (DEIJ) in higher education, and we seek to hire people with a strong track record of engagement with DEIJ in their professional endeavors.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in brewing science or related field (chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, biological sciences, engineering, food science, etc) or completion of a professional or university-affiliated brewing program
- Three years' work experience as a brewmaster, head brewer, brewing supervisor, packaging manager, quality manager, tap room operations manager, or other documented work experience in a commercial brewing facility
- Masters degree or higher in a brewing science or related field (chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, biological sciences, engineering, food science, etc)
- Prior teaching experience and evidence of effective teaching in higher education in chemistry or other brewing science related fields
- Experience in differentiated instruction for diverse student populations
- Research experience and publications in brewing science related disciplines
- Proven knowledge of the brewing process, including raw materials, fermentation process technology, and packaging operations. Five years or more work experience in a commercial brewing facility
- Certified Cicerone or BJCP Beer Judge and prior beer judging experience
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in tap room operations, beer sales or marketing
This position will serve as the primary point of contact for the curriculum in the newly-launched Brewing and Fermentation Science certificate program at NAU. This program integrates coursework from Chemistry and Biological Sciences with offerings in NAU's School of Hotel and Restaurant Management in the form of unique emphases in Brewing Quality Assurance and Brewing Management and Hospitality
. Further details on the program may be found at the following website.
This position resides in the College of the Environment, Forestry and Natural Sciences but the individual holding this position will also have teaching duties within the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management within the W.A. Franke College of Business.
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch, with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student's success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This is a Faculty (FAC) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); sick leave accruals and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page
. Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable according to terms of the Conditions of Faculty Service
. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on April 21, 2022.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs
, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 606157
, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include: (1) a cover letter highlighting your particular qualifications for this position; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) a statement of teaching philosophy; (4) a statement of research interests; (5) a one-page DEIJ statement that addresses your values and/or philosophy, accomplishments, experiences, education, and training with DEIJ; and (6) names and contact information for three references. Save all items as PDF and/or Word documents.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606157&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency