San José – Evergreen Community College District invites you to be our next Chancellor.
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, San José – Evergreen Community College District (SJECCD) encompasses more than 300 square miles, including most of the city of San José and all of the city of Milpitas. The District includes the areas served by Milpitas Unified School District, San José Unified School District, and East Side Union High School District.
SJECCD is comprised of San José City College (SJCC), which was the first community college in Santa Clara County, established in 1921; Evergreen Valley College (EVC), established in 1975; the Community College Center for Economic Mobility (CEM), formerly the Workforce Institute, established in 1988; and the San José – Evergreen Community College Extension at Milpitas, established in 2016.
All of the District's institutions play an integral role in elevating the educational and economic profile of the entire region. Guided by a strong District vision, the Colleges and CEM enjoy broad community support which has been earned through their individual and collective positive impact on student success and achievement, and their ongoing commitment to innovation to meet the evolving needs of students and demands of an everchanging regional workforce. For a comprehensive overview of the individual Colleges and CEM, please visit the SJECCD website at www.sjeccd.edu.
Since 1998, the District community has demonstrated its strong support for higher education through the successful passage of four bond initiatives with the most recent being Measure X in 2016. These bonds, coupled with state funds and private donations, have revitalized the infrastructure of both Colleges, the District Office, and the Milpitas College Extension. Among other amenities, students now enjoy new, state-of-the art libraries with learning resource labs and technology centers, innovative student services facilities and programs, new classrooms and science labs on both campuses, career and technical education labs and equipment, refurbished athletic and physical education facilities, modern student centers with bookstores, dining areas, collaborative work and study space, and more.
San José – Evergreen Community College District currently serves approximately 16,000 students each semester.
OPPORTUNITY | EQUITY | SOCIAL JUSTICE
Our District's core values are Opportunity, Equity, and Social Justice. Each one of these values is incorporated into our strategic planning and is a part of the foundational commitments we make to our communities.
As a leading educational institution, the Mission of SJECCD is to meet the diverse educational and workforce needs of our community by empowering our students to become agents of socio-economic change.
SJECCD is the premier post-secondary education institution in our region for advancing Opportunity, Equity, and Social Justice through educational excellence.
WHO WE ARE
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible.
As a District of educators, we believe educating the whole student to be the true definition of success. Student Success is everyone's responsibility which includes classified staff, faculty, and administrators. To help our students excel in all areas of their lives, we encourage holistic self-discovery and through this process, our students learn to collaborate, participate in responsible decision making, and evaluate their options through an ethical lens. We believe students must have the education and skills required to help them reach their personal, educational, and professional goals. We infuse this belief – aligned with our vision – into all that we do so that when our students leave us, they are not only productive members of society, but they are also champions for Opportunity, Equity, and Social Justice. This is evidenced by our San José Promise, an initiative designed to create a college-going culture throughout the City of San José while removing barriers to college access and student success.
Dually designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution, SJECCD enjoys a very diverse student population. Students throughout the district are supported through a comprehensive list of programs/services. SJECCD is focused on meeting the needs of first-generation college attendees through enhanced academic and social/emotional support services.
San José – Evergreen Community College District learned on June 13, 2018, that both of its Colleges, Evergreen Valley College and San José City College, received reaffirmation of their accreditation status until 2023 by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC).
The reaffirmed accreditation comes after ACCJC reviewed follow-up reports and evidentiary materials submitted in March 2018 after ACCJC accreditation site visits to both colleges in October 2016.
EXCELLENCE IN GOVERNANCE
San José – Evergreen Community College District and Board of Trustees are committed to operating within the best practices for effective public governance. The framework for this positive relationship is set forth in the Board's End Policies and Governance Principles. These documents provide clarity for their work and differentiation between the role and function of the Board and that of the Chancellor. The Board of Trustees holds firm on three matters:
1. They are responsible for the stewardship of resources and responsiveness to their constituents; and
2. They are committed to speaking with one voice; and
3. The Chancellor and staff are entirely responsible for putting in place the strategies that will achieve the Board's Ends Policies.
Our Board will continue to maintain this governance model under new District leadership, providing accountability at all levels of governance.
THE WAY FORWARD
San José – Evergreen Community College District has a long tradition of success, led by our faculty, classified professionals, administrators, students, and Board of Trustees.
The next Chancellor will recognize the accomplishments of our District team, take the work completed thus far and build upon it, charting a future that leads us to even greater success. The next Chancellor will celebrate our history, our hard work, our region's many cultures, and join us in optimizing our impact to the community and our commitment to students.
Now, more than ever, our region depends on San José – Evergreen Community College District to provide high-quality education to our community. When our students succeed, we all succeed.
Our new leader will be expected to forge a path for current and future plans in a post-pandemic environment. We must identify the silver linings of the pandemic and use the lessons learned to meet the needs of students as we encounter a changing social and economic environment now immersed in virtual technology and universal access.
Our new Chancellor will be expected to lead us through the residual remnants of the pandemic including a decline in student enrollment, expanded modalities for teaching and learning, and heightened levels of competition among our neighboring institutions of higher education, both public and private. This can be achieved in large part by becoming an integral member of our community, both personally and professionally.
Key Qualities of an Exceptional Community College
Effective Leadership and District Governance
• Demonstrates experience in developing and implementing strategies that achieve an institutional culture of equity and social justice.
• Demonstrates leadership in team-building skills.
• Knowledgeable of California Education Code and effective implementation of adopted policies and procedures within a framework of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Demonstrates collaborative leadership that incorporates needs of all stakeholders by appropriately supporting the Colleges' participatory governance systems.
• Demonstrates leadership maturity and broadened perspective to support a strong relationship between the two Colleges and the District.
• Cultivates positive leadership relationship with Board of Trustees.
• Collaborates directly with the Board of Trustees to fulfill their respective roles and responsibilities to achieve effective public governance.
Program and Service Excellence
• Supports innovative teaching and learning based on the College Presidents' assessment of professional development needs.
• Relentless focus on students to fulfill the State Chancellor's Vision for Success through collaborative and effective implementation of statewide initiatives.
• Demonstrates leadership that has resulted in District-wide integration between student support services, instruction, and administrative services to achieve the goals for student success.
Fiscal Accountability and Facilities Development and Planning
• Ensures the fiscal health of the district, while being competitive with surrounding academic institutions.
• Demonstrates professional experience managing District/College construction programs and facilities bonds.
• Advocates for and promotes a systematic approach to the maintenance and expansion of technology infrastructure specifically aligned with the District goals for student success.
• Pursues new revenue opportunities including grants and fundraising to increase resources to achieve the goals and objectives in the District Educational and Facilities Master Plans.
College and Community Relations
• Demonstrates accessibility to students and staff and comfort in spending time on the College campuses interacting with all aspects of our diverse student population.
• Experience in establishing community/business/industry partnerships to support the District's overall operation.
• Demonstrates success in positive public relations and enthusiastically embracing the responsibility to represent the District in the public arena.
• Promotes strong relationships with a wide range of entities served by the District and demonstrates a highly visible and prominent personal presence throughout the District.
• Strengthened external partnerships to create a global-minded culture to support the region's evolving workforce needs.
• Excellent communication skills including being a good listener.
• Open, honest, and transparent.
• Expertise and enthusiasm for public relations.
• Highly values collaboration as well as sharing their own experience and knowledge.
• Values compassion, flexibility, and accountability for all.
• Approachable, friendly with a sense of humor.
Student Success is the heart of our Mission. We've hired the best and brightest faculty and classified staff to ensure that our students are well-prepared when they transfer to a university, enter the workforce, or embark on a path of lifelong learning.
To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than April 22, 2022. The position will remain open until filled. This is a confidential search process.
PLEASE SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS TO: [email protected]
Candidates will need to have the following information or materials available to complete the application:
1. A letter of application that succinctly addresses (1) the Profile of the Ideal Candidate and Personal/Leadership Qualities/Traits/Characteristics in the Position Announcement and demonstrates how the candidate is prepared to serve the needs of San José – Evergreen Community College District (not to exceed 5 pages).
2. A current resumé.
3. A list of references that is to include at least one Trustee, one supervisor, one direct administrative report, one faculty member, one staff member, one student and one community/external agency representatives.
Upon hire the successful candidate will be required to provide official transcripts.
May 31, 2022
June 1, 2022
For additional information, nominations or confidential inquires, please contact:
Stan A. Carrizosa Sr.
CCSS Search Consultant[email protected]
559-740-85402022 SJECCD Chancellor Position Announcement-PDF
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency