: Academic SupportSubscribe:
: Academic AdvisementLocations:
: Poughkeepsie, NYPosted:
: Mar 18, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part-timePosition ID:
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City, DCC is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. Recently honored among Campus Pride's Top 8 Community Colleges Leading the Way for LGBTQ Inclusion, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
The Academic Coach will provide comprehensive and intrusive advisement throughout the academic year. The Academic Coach will be responsible to ensure that students receive guidance during the semester regarding curriculum planning and will also utilize Starfish to provide any needed intervention. The Academic Coach will assist all students in academic planning related to the students' abilities and chosen major. The coach will also convey and interpret DCC's rules and regulations, academic prerequisites, programs, majors, and courses of study. The Academic Coach will assist students to define and develop realistic educational, career, and transfer plans. To do so the Academic Coach will provide curriculum planning for students to include registration of summer/winter coursework (if appropriate) to ensure each student has an up-to-date academic plan through graduation. The Academic Coach will play an integral part in the college's efforts towards student success, retention, and graduation. The Academic Coach will advocate for student educational achievement to the highest attainable standard, support student goals, and uphold the educational mission of the college. The coach will proactively contact and be available for student advisees on a regular basis.
Coaching Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the student onboarding efforts of the college for non-traditional and students pursuing CTE programs;
- Participate in the programming of career expo events for Perkins related majors;
- Assist with the completion of data specific to Perkins reporting for the Academic, Career, and Transfer Center;
- Clarify personal and occupational interests, abilities, and goals for the student's educational plan;
- Become knowledgeable about and adhere to institutional policies, procedures, and requirements;
- Become knowledgeable of SUNY seamless transfer pathways and articulation agreements;
- Provide transfer advisement and facilitate transfer workshops;
- Recognize and respect students' diverse backgrounds and possess strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Maintain student records and organize resource materials pertinent to each student's needs;
- Manage technology needed to support advising programs, including but not limited to Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish;
- Provide graduation planning including completion of Degree Works audit and graduation application;
- Maintain consistent advisement and build relationships with major-based students;
- Utilize Starfish to assist with caseload management, including providing student outreach based on tracking items and weekly reports;
- Participate in prospective student and first year programs including orientation, introductory seminar courses, and recruitment initiatives;
- Additional duties as assigned by Student Services.
- Bachelor's Degree, in a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an Academic Advisor;
- A minimum of 4 years of related experience in a college setting, especially in the areas of academic coaching, transfer and/or delivery of academic support services;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Concern for student needs in a demanding academic context as well as flexibility, patience, and professional integrity;
- The ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body;
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Master's Degree, preferably in higher education or a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an Academic Advisor;
- Experience working with students in a community college environment.
Academic Support positions are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between Dutchess Community College and Dutchess United Educators (DUE)
The hourly rate for this position is $32.47.
Employment will require a criminal background screening.
DCC is an AA/EOE employer. Dutchess Community College (College) as part of The State University of New York, in its continuing effort to seek equity in education and employment, and in support of federal and state anti-discrimination legislation, has adopted a policy to provide an educational and employment environment free from unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction
To apply visit www.sunydutchess.interviewexchange.com. Please submit a resume and cover letter.