Job no: 494117
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Senior-Level
Role: Dean of Communications & Behavioral Sciences
As a result of the Covid-19 Delta Variant, the Governor of the State of Illinois has issued Executive Order 2021-20 (Covid-19 Executive Order No. 87), to include mandatory COVID vaccines or submission to weekly testing for higher education faculty, personnel, and college students, as well as issuing an indoor mask mandate for all. By choosing to apply, I acknowledge and understand that upon employment, Elgin Community College (ECC) may require proof of vaccination or weekly testing as required by this mandate.
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Rate of Pay:
This position is a grade 19 with a minimum of $104,850. Salary offer will be commensurate with the education/experience, in alignment with the College’s compensation philosophy, and the current CBA, if applicable.
An employee in this classification performs work of considerable difficulty by providing academic and administrative leadership associated with the division of Communications and Behavioral Sciences. Work is distinguished in that this position is responsible for developing and managing the divisional budget, equipment purchasing, hiring and evaluating full-time faculty, part-time faculty, administrators, and support staff, development and implementation of new programs and curriculum, management of facilities, responding to student concerns, and maintaining relationships with president, vice presidents, other deans, board members, the foundation board, program advisory boards, administrative support staff, partners in the business industry, and other educational institutions. General direction is receive from the Vice President of Teaching, Learning, and Student Development.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Master’s degree in a liberal arts field, preferably in a discipline of one field represented within the division (including Anthropology, Human Geography, Psychology, Sociology, English, Speech, Journalism, Education, Early Childhood Education, and Human Services).
2. Minimum 2 years administrative experience at the associate or dean level
3. Minimum 2 years experience in an educational collective bargaining environment
4. Considerable knowledge of student learning and assessment processes
5. Good knowledge of the Illinois Community College Board or equivalent agency
6. Good knowledge of the comprehensive mission of the community college
7. Considerable skills in thinking strategically, developing a vision and implementing its details
8. Considerable interpersonal, verbal, presentation and written communication skills with the ability to communicate and interact with all levels of staff, faculty, administration and stakeholders in a diverse community
9. Considerable skill in working collaboratively and building teams with administrators, faculty, and staff.
10. Considerable skill in developing and managing a budget.
11. Considerable skill in building external partnerships.
12. Considerable skill and the demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
13. Considerable skill in grant writing at the state and national level with proven success.
14. Considerable skill in facilities management and planning.
15. Demonstrated respect for the teaching, learning, and evaluation process.
16. Demonstrated success serving as an advocate for department and faculty in a large organization
17. Demonstrated appreciation of equity, diversity, inclusion and promotion of multi-cultural awareness.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Teaching experience in higher education, community college experience preferred.
1. Curriculum development, analysis, review, and schedule development
2. Recruitment, selection, hiring, and retention of faculty and staff
3. Develop and foster community partnerships and educational alliances.
4. Provide academic, administrative, and institution leadership within the college and division (e.g. Strategic/Academic Planning, ECC/ECCFA Negotiation teams)
5. Evaluation of instruction and support staff, professional development, and supervision of faculty and staff, including oversight of the tenure process for new full-time faculty
6. Provide fiscal leadership for the division including budget development and management, equipment acquisition, grant writing and implementation, and facilities management
7. Administration of collective bargaining agreements
8. Problem solving and conflict resolution
9. Available to respond to internal and external customers, either in person or over the phone, during scheduled business hours.
10. Demonstrate independent judgement and discretion in making position related decisions.
11. Maintain required training, licensure and/or certification
12. Maintain confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws.
13. Demonstrate sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
14. Maintain an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
15. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
1. Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
2. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently
Close Visual Activity
Typical office or administrative conditions.
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 03/14/2022. Elgin Community College Support Staff Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 03/28/2022 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: March 14, 2022 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled