Gordon State College
Dean of Enrollment Services
Gordon State College, a co-educational, residential state college located an hour south of Atlanta, seeks an accomplished enrollment administrator to serve as Dean of Enrollment Services. This senior administrator provides oversight, strategic direction, and daily leadership for the Admissions Department, Financial Aid Department, and the Registrar’s Office to enhance student enrollment and related programs and processes. The preferred start date is spring 2022.
For complete information, see the Search Profile at https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/GordonSC-Dean-ES.pdf.
Gordon State College
Founded in 1852, Gordon State College joined the University System of Georgia in 1972 and continues its distinctive legacy of excellent scholarship and service. The College has been under the visionary leadership of President Kirk A. Nooks since 2018.
With an enrollment of more than 3,100 students, Gordon State offers an intimate academic setting in state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories on its beautiful 235-acre campus in Barnesville, Ga. In response to the needs of adult learners and others, the College has evening classes on its main campus as well as classes at satellite locations in nearby Griffin and McDonough. In each of these settings, students receive individualized attention that only a small college with dedicated faculty and staff can provide.
Courses leading to 11 baccalaureate and 16 associate degrees are offered through three academic schools: Business, Liberal Arts, and Social Sciences; Education, Mathematics, and Applied Sciences; and Nursing and Health and Natural Sciences. Many of the courses are taught online as well as onsite. The associate degree programs provide students multiple pathways to a baccalaureate degree. Nearly 71 percent of the College’s two-year associate degree students continue into four-year bachelor’s programs.
Faculty members bring both their in-depth subject expertise and their dedication to student success to the classroom. Sixty-eight percent of the full-time faculty hold doctorates or terminal degrees in their fields. The 20:1 student-to-faculty ratio provides students with smaller, more engaged learning experiences, with professors working with students one-on-one.
The newest addition to the Gordon State College campus is the Student Services Center that features a one-stop location for admissions, financial aid, and the Bursar’s office. The center was the recipient of the University System of Georgia’s 2019 Innovation Award in Design.
Gordon State is a vibrant, close-knit community. The College has the capacity for more than 1,000 students to reside on campus. Students participate in more than 30 student clubs and organizations as well as a theater and music program. In addition to NJCAA intercollegiate sports, students enjoy club sports and an active intramural program.
The Dean of Enrollment Services (Dean) reports to the College President and serves as a member of the Cabinet and the President’s Advisory Council. The Dean is responsible for developing and leading a comprehensive and effective Enrollment Services team that enables students to enroll in a timely fashion and pursue their course of study, resulting in college revenue on an annual basis. Activities also include increasing public awareness on the College’s educational offerings and determining best fit opportunities for potential students.
Enrollment Services encompasses Admissions, Financial Aid, and the Registrar’s Office with the department leaders reporting to the Dean. To accomplish objectives and goals, the Dean works closely with additional departments across the College, such as the Bursar, Student Advising, Marketing, and Advancement.
With final responsibility and authority for the overall operations of Enrollment Services, the Dean develops or approves recommendations on major policy issues for all three departments and ensures the effective and efficient management of work to achieve goals and objectives. The Dean is responsible for the utilization of resources and personnel decisions.
The President assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives and reviews work in a consultative approach for feasibility, compatibility, and effectiveness in meeting overall goals and objectives. Instructions are often general, requiring the Dean to use judgment and discretion in accomplishing goals.
- Provides strategic direction and overall unit leadership and develops annual departmental goals and objectives that align with the goals and objectives of the College.
- Drafts, implements, and consistently applies policies, procedures, and guidelines related to areas of responsibility.
- Monitors state and federal regulations that relate to enrollment, veterans’ services, and financial aid systems and ensures compliance with all regulations.
- Contributes to strategic enrollment management, planning, and assessment along with other college-wide departments as assigned.
- Leads the college-wide Strategic Enrollment Management Council and the Enrollment Maximization Team.
- Communicates with principals, students, parents, and the public who contact Enrollment Services and addresses concerns or difficulties and facilitates resolutions.
- Develops and oversees the annual budgets for Enrollment Services.
- Performs additional projects as directed by the College President.
- Develops and implements strategies to enhance staff effectiveness, teamwork, communication, professional development, and morale of Enrollment Services.
- Works with other departments to enhance programs and processes impacting student enrollment.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Candidates must have a master’s degree and more than five years of sufficient experience to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the Admissions, Registrar’s, and Financial Aid departments in order to direct and coordinate their work and operations successfully. Candidate must possess or have the ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license.
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite, Banner, data analytics software, and web content management systems
- Strategic Enrollment Management Certificate
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of national, state, and local issues related to post-secondary education
- Knowledge or ability to become knowledgeable of University System of Georgia Board of Regents policies, procedures, practices, requirements, and reporting structures
- Knowledge of related federal policies, procedures, regulations, and laws
- Knowledge of enrollment management best practices for a state college
- Knowledge of forecasting techniques
- Mastery skill in generating data-driven recommendations
- Strong skill in organizing and prioritizing to meet critical deadlines
- Strong skill in leadership, supervison, and management
- Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority
- Strong skill in collaborating with multiple constituents
- Skill in the operation of technology and job-related software programs
- Strong skill in decision making, problem solving, analyzing, and managing multiple competing priorities
- Strong skill in interpersonal relations, including the ability to establish and maintain cooperative and professional working relationships with all college stakeholders, including the general public
- Strong budgeting skills
- Superior skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in applying wide range of knowledge to difficult and complex work assignments
Barnesville is a beautiful, vibrant community of some 6,800 residents who value its history while embracing progressive leadership. The county seat of Lamar County, Barnesville approximately 50 miles south of Atlanta and 30 miles north of Macon.
Lamar County has more than 500 businesses. The leading industries are education, manufacturing, healthcare, and social services. The city and county also have become sites for Georgia’s growing film industry. Among recent projects were scenes filmed in Barnesville and Lamar County for Marvel’s The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which is now streaming on Disney+. Downtown Barnesville provides shopping, dining, and activities for all ages. Enjoy fountains, murals, and fun festivals, including the Barnesville BBQ & Blues Festival in the spring and Buggy Days in the fall.
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
- Application packet must include: a) A letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, b) Current résumé, and c) At least four references with full contact information including e-mails (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
- Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to [email protected] by April 6, 2022, for best consideration. Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- IMPORTANT: Candidates also must complete an online application with Gordon State College’s Office of Human Resources to be considered for this position. The Gordon State application form is available at https://www.gordonstate.edu/departments/human-resources/employment-opportunities/index.html. The Job Posting Number is 236980. Submission instructions are on the website.
Submit nominations to [email protected] with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Emily Parker Myers, CEO, and Jennifer Barfield, Senior Vice President, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, are assisting Gordon State College with this search. Schedule a conversation with Jennifer at [email protected].
Gordon State College is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote, and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Gordon State College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Gordon State College Office of Human Resources at 678-359-5011. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 678-359-5011