Research Administrator 4 (6207U), ProS Region - 32540
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Professional Schools Region (ProS) provides a wide range of reliable, high-quality administrative support services for the University of California, Berkeley in the areas of Research Administration, Purchasing and Reimbursements, and Human Resources & Academic Personnel Support.
In support of the UC Berkeley Operating Principles (https://hr.berkeley.edu/performance/operating-principles
) and the university's mission of teaching, research and public service, ProS operates in a culture, which encourages collaboration, innovation, simplification, and accountability. Our staff focuses on service, a commitment that is aligned with the university vision. We recognize excellence and strive to provide timely, consistent, and dependable service to the ProS clients.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 25, 2022.
- Leads the organization, planning, establishment and monitoring of fiscal budget control of contracts and grants administration, submissions, budgets, support documents, gifts, endowments and privately funded projects for faculty research programs.
- Ensures complete and accurate collection of research management administration data at all stages of the contract and grant lifecycle.
- Researches policies and makes recommendations regarding unit workflow and procedures.
- Ensures that awarded projects are carried out according to campus policy and sponsor requirements.
- Provides post-award financial administration and management for complex research funds in accordance with campus policy and agency requirements from award set up to final closeout.
- Assists with audits and comprehensive post-award sub-recipient monitoring and administration.
- Provides highly complex projections, analysis and recommendations.
- Provides guidance and counsel on research administration matters to PIs, non-RA ProS staff, and less experienced team staff.
- Coordinates with supervisor to insure that the ProS RA staff are consistently trained and following established departmental guidelines and procedures for extramural funds accounting and sponsored projects administration.
- May deliver training to staff and faculty.
- Identifies and initiates team efforts at business process improvement toward an end of more efficient operations and/or higher quality service.
- Participates in training/educational sessions designed to increase knowledge of professional research administration concepts and practices, and ProS, University, and/or funding agency processes and policies.
- Seeks information to maintain up to date knowledge in all areas of research administration and shares knowledge and lessons learned with staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists in support of audit as directed by senior staff.
- Advanced knowledge of or ability to learn OMB Circulars A-21, A-110, A-133 and others as appropriate, Federal Acquisition Regulations, and principles of cost accounting standards, including allowability, allocability, and reasonableness.
- Complete competency with or ability to learnfederal cost bulletins, campus policies, sponsor-specific policies, intellectual property policy, conflict of interest requirements, publication rights, application of indirect cost rates and other complex concepts in research administration.
- Ability to manage high volume and complex transactions and to work in a fast paced environment with overlapping deadlines and short lead times while maintaining a high level of attention to detail, and ability of work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Experienced with all types of award mechanisms, including grants, contracts, subcontracts, cooperative agreements.
- Thorough knowledge in applicable compliance requirements related to use of human or animal subjects in research, intellectual property policy, bio-safety, et cetera.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex financial accounts and funds, including cost projections and budgeting, ability to perform high level financial analysis and customized reporting.
- Ability to perform or ability to learn the most complex financial analysis and customized reporting; utilizing UCB's system reports, pivots and queries.
- Requires independent judgment and strong organization and communication skills and customer service focus.
- Ability to interpret policy for others.
- Ability to train and assist a staff of RAs in all aspects of pre-and post-award accounting and research administration according to campus policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Requires extensive knowledge of program administration guidelines of Federal and non-Federal sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in a university environment.
- A minimum of five years' experience working with federal and state contracts and grants fiscal policies and procedures or related accounting experience and/or equivalent training or experience preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $80,000.00 - $105,000.00 (Grade 23). For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- This is a remote-friendly position, eligible for 100% remote capability.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=32540&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency