Senior Engineering Manager, University Information Services Georgetown University
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.RequirementsSenior Engineering Manager, University Information Services - Georgetown UniversityJob Overview
The Senior Engineering Manager
leads the backbone and edge network engineering team, and is responsible for the design, planning, scalability, deployment, performance, and operation of our global network backbone and edge connectivity. They drive our strategy and advances our operations for WiFi, Internet, Data Center, and Cloud for all GU sites including Main, Medical, Law, offices in DC, and our network at Qatar.
The Network Operations and Engineering (INO) team supports our software and hardware networks, daily functions, ticketing, on-call, troubleshooting, maintenance, and installation and management of network and information security infrastructure including routers, switches, firewalls, and VPNs. INO is responsible for ensuring all network components are at consistent releases of software and firmware and have been patched for security. This team manages network services including DHCP, firewall rules, and network access control lists (ACLs). The Senior Engineering Manager works closely and in collaboration with the Information Security Office, which has primary responsibility for the engineering design, implementation, and operational maintenance of the University's $50M network.The INO team is one of many belonging to the UIS Network and Computing Systems (NCS) organization
that manage and provide support for the University's integrated network (data/telecommunications/video), data center production control for academic and administrative processing, systems management of enterprise server infrastructure and facilities infrastructure project management.
To achieve this goal, NCS focuses on the following strategies:
- reduce system downtime and increase operating efficiencies by ensuring that management of all systems and services follow defined standards and operating procedures and that all problems are resolved in a timely manner
- prioritizing activities using a goal-driven process that, in combination with external benchmarking and research, attempts to maximize the mapping of our team's activities to user-prioritized, business goals (i.e. we strive to work on the highest value activities while saying ‘no' to lower value distractions)
- increasing collaboration at all levels (e.g., within and between teams, with other UIS divisions, and with our user communities)
The Senior Engineering Manager
manages the Georgetown University enterprise network, which includes university capital and non-capital assets (switches, routers, gateways, cabling, servers, and software licenses) that exceed $40M in value; as well as the critical enterprise network and voice systems and will carry a cell phone for managing and participating in the resolution, communication, and escalation of system events and outages. Work Interactions
Reporting to the Senior Director of Infrastructure Operations, the Senior Engineering Manager
is accountable to the AVP of Systems Engineering and Operations, and works directly with network managers at other schools, technical and non-technical staff within UIS, our customers, and typically department heads and their administrators.Qualifications
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or work-related discipline/field from an accredited college or university
- 15+ years of network engineering experience - note: an equivalent combination of education and field experience will be considered
- Experience in selecting, testing, and deploying networking hardware and software
- Experience with ISP and Internet-scale networking, optical/DWDM, CDN, edge network security
- Background in building and operating large-scale backbone and edge networks
- Ability to understand scripts and programs for automation, tools, frameworks, dashboards, alarms (common uses: Python, Go)
- Expert level knowledge in large-scale IP networking technologies and protocols such as MP-BGP, OSPF, ISIS, VRF, VxLAN, EVPN, QoS, GRE, IP SEC, DNS, MACsec
- Experience with using software development to operate or deploy a large network
- 5+ years of experience using Ansible, Python, YAML, or Netconf/YANG
- Proficiency with various networking vendors such as Palo Alto, Cisco, etc.
- Availability and willingness to work off-hours in the early mornings and late evenings to accommodate the requirements of the change management procedures
Work Mode: Telework.
- Cisco CCNP or CCIE certification
- Experience managing voice systems PBX and IP telephony
- Experience with tools such as Cisco Prime, Nagios, and Solarwinds
- Experience in Systems Programming/Development, Electrical, UPS and power distribution systems, high-density cabling systems
Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position's mode of work designation - please visit Georgetown University's Work Mode Designation
for staff and AAP positions for details.Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu
) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.Submission Guidelines:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.Need Assistance:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here
for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected]
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu
or view the online interactive benefits guide
for more information.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2918629
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency