Senior Database System Administrator
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
The Senior Database Administrator plays a key role in our ongoing evolution and modernization of Banner applications and database technology for a highly scalable and available Banner and business environment. The role is responsible for the Oracle and MSSQL database architecture, administration, procedure automation and business application and user support. The Senior DBA plans, prioritizes and supports a suite of Banner and auxiliary systems including DegreeWorks, BDMS, Automic, CBOARD, EMS, Postgresql and MAPS database, as well as software upgrade and troubleshooting system problems. Banner responsibilities include configuration, deployment and support of Banner 9 Admin and self-service pages, AppNavigator, Banner Security, Ethos, Elucian Solution Manager and the Banner technical architecture. The position plans and articulates high level Banner infrastructure and growth capacity with Tomcat servers, Load Balancer, Ethos, EIS and SSO configuration through close collaboration with the Banner operational team and the Infrastructure team, and is responsible for developing robust performance and auditing processes to standardize the Enterprise Systems practices and procedures. This job role is required to perform regular course registration Webload tests in a team environment to ensure Banner is capable of handling high registration load demand. The Senior Database Administrator needs to possess deep Banner architecture knowledge and experience of Oracle 19C database, Banner 9 applications, Tomcat and SQL server database support skills and be able to quickly diagnose problems and come up with solutions or workarounds.
- Work closely with the business intelligence team, the integration team, vendor partners and infrastructure team to provide database and system support, data modeling, and make recommendations to members involved in deployment or development as pertaining to propose technical solutions and/or implement the solution.
- Provide technical guidance, training and mentoring to junior members of the Enterprise Data and Solutions team regarding database performance, data architecture and design.
- Install, implement, and upgrade Banner ERP Software system including Application Navigator, Banner applications and programs using the Ellucian Solution Manager and Jenkins agent.
- Function as the technical expert in database design and system configuration to maintain a flexible and scalable Banner environment for most optimal performance and growth.
- Keep a close contact of Ellucian and Oracle technology, develop an enterprise architecture roadmap including Cloud and architectural growing strategy based on technology trends, Ellucian new releases or new business functional expansion.
- Maintain and support Oracle databases including database upgrades; Oracle security patching, database backup and recovery, and performance tuning.
- Provide upgrade and ongoing support of all Banner auxiliary applications including Degree Works software, Banner Document Management System (BDMS/Xtender), Banner Job Automation system (Automic), as well as EMS and cBoard backend database and system support. Provide daily performance monitoring and routine maintenance.
- Implement and maintain Banner Linux servers in a VMware environment and Tomcat application servers and java applications that support the suite of Banner software and enterprise application new installation or integration with 3rd party software.
- Monitor and manage database backups, perform regular database restoring practices, developing scripts and sound troubleshoot mechanism to monitor logs, disk space, risk factors, establish performance metrics for optimal Banner and enterprise system performance; keep current, up-to-date database backups for recovery standards.
- Maintain Oracle system and user accounts, keep a clear audit trail of database access and update records that meet industry security standards. Assist with the end-user's database and application access issues. Responsible for testing and identifying Banner software and Oracle defects. Apply patch fixes and test defect fixes with functional users.
- Develop and maintain system maintenance procedures including database and services AutoStart, shutdown. Generate and maintain scripts to support DB creation, schemas, automate tasks and related activities. Participate in Banner Disaster Recovery planning and testing.
- Create clear database backup, and file system archiving and retention plans. Keep Banner applications upgrade status, version inventory and ready for response to external system auditing.
- Work with infrastructure to develop and test Banner server-based disaster recovery, backup and Business Continuity strategy.
- As it develops, act as the primary administrator and strategist for cloud migrations and cloud infrastructure.
- Be responsible for mapping and documenting operational procedure, server inventory, and system dependencies.
- Establish system process scheduling procedures using appropriate mechanisms such as Oracle scheduler, crontab or the Snaplogic scheduler and perform regular optimization and maintenance.
- Manage Enterprise systems software migration following IT change management practices, response to migration requests and keep clear migration audit trail.
- Provides a broad range of administrative and support services including Banner upgrade compatibility analysis, downloading release notes, developing user guide and test plan, and providing related user training.
- Troubleshoots critical database and application service outages after-hours and weekends, providing escalation support as necessary. Perform root cause analysis, document, and present to team and management.
- Benchmarks and verifies student course registration performance through maintaining a robust registration load test engine and conducting load testing prior to registration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- 7 to 10 years' experience administering and supporting Banner 8 and Banner 9 Admin Pages, Self-service applications or other ERP System support.
- Ability to strategically plan, be proactive in approach and develop systems solutions to solve operational problems.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw valid conclusions, and be able to document problems in written format.
- Ability to determine database or configuration problems and to coordinate hardware and/or software solutions.
- Experience with Degree Works, ESM, BDMS, Automic upgrade, configuration and backend support.
- Strong Oracle technical skills including Oracle 19C, Data Guard, performance tuning, database backup and restore, and hands-on experience with Oracle REST Data Services (ORDS) and pluggable database architecture.
- Solid background of SQL server database management, server provisioning and configuration
- Strong Linux, Tomcat, VM, OS administration and scripting skills
- Familiar with Ethos Platform including Ethos Integration, Ethos API and Duo SSO integration in the Ellucian Banner platform.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks. Flexibility in working schedule in line with project deadlines, critical production issue support, or off-hour software upgrade.
- Listens and responds effectively to customer questions; resolves Zendesk tickets to the customer satisfaction.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues and bring them all to resolution in a timely manner.
- Anticipates problems, evaluates and analyzes current procedures for possible improvements.
- Detail Oriented and thoroughness in accomplishing tasks. Monitors and organizes time and resources efficiently to make positive contributions in a team environment.
- Self-motivated with strong team, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Oracle and SQL database platform professional certifications
- 3+ years hands-on experience working with SQL Server databases, SQL server applications in window environments.
- 5+ years direct support experience in areas of Ellucian Banner 9, Ethos, ESM, Degree Works, BDMS and Automic.
- Strong Linux, Tomcat and Java deployment and scripting skills.
- Knowledgeable of SAML, SSO configuration and system integration.
- Registration load test experience
- Higher Ed experience in Ellucian Banner environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related fields or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 10 years combined experience working as Oracle database administrator and/or SQL server database administrator, or ERP system support services
Grade of Position: A19E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
This position will be exclusively represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 888 for purposes of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
In addition to a competitive salary, Emerson College is committed to the health and well-being of our employees and family members. We offer a generous benefits package to regular staff scheduled to work 20+ hours per week.
Benefits include outstanding health plans with limited out-of-pocket expenses, dental plans, generous time-off programs, and a 403(b) retirement benefit with a 9% employer contribution once eligible. Additional benefits such as life and disability coverage as well as commuter offerings are available.
Please refer to our benefits website
for a full list of benefits and eligibility requirements.
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Senior-Database-System-Administrator_JR003721
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.Diversity Statement
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: [email protected]Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website
Information on Emerson College staff grade range
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency