Facility Srv: Landscaping Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time:
Part-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
- This position is a Part Time position located on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus.
- Upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to best evaluate your prior experience as it meets the needs of the position.
- Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive, on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver's license number for periodic records review. The law affects all faculty, staff and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles. For more information on NAU Authorized Driver Policy
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
NAU Facility Services: Landscaping is now hiring Part Time Groundskeepers. Under the general direction of the Landscaping & Outdoor Services Supervisor (LOS), the Groundskeeper is responsible for maintaining the campus landscape and outdoor spaces. This position reports to the LOS Supervisor and exists to aid the supervisor in fulfilling the Facility Services’ mission to the university by providing excellent customer service and maintaining the campus outdoor spaces with efficiency, care and to the highest standards.
The Mission of Facility Services is to create, maintain and enhance our campus through continuous improvement and sustainable practices for the benefit of the campus community. Our Vision is to be a progressive, customer-focused organization that is recognized as a leader in providing exceptional service and responsible stewardship of resources.
Lawn Maintenance and Irrigation -50%
- Responsible for the grounds of an assigned section of campus.
- Maintains campus turf by mowing at the correct height, verticutting, seeding, aerifying, fertilizing and topdressing.
- Maintains irrigation systems on intramural fields.
- Responsible for the maintenance of shrubs, trees, lawns, and planting areas. Trims and prunes a variety of trees and shrubs, as required.
- Responsible for hand watering flowers, shrubs, and trees as needed.
- Operates large power and field mowers, hand tools and large vehicles associated with grounds maintenance and landscaping activities.Assists Irrigation Repairer, installing or repairing heads, lines, valves, clocks, trouble shooting, for both popup and drip systems.
- Communicate with your supervisor and customer. Make sure that you have a complete understanding of the request for and ensure that each customer is informed and agrees with the schedule.
Facility Services Support - 15%
- Removes snow and ice from designated areas such as roofs, sidewalks, and entryways as required; may operate snow removal equipment.
- Assist in trimming and pruning a variety of trees and shrubs, as required.
- Removes campus litter and empties litter barrels.Assists Heavy Equipment Operator in the completion of various landscaping projects. Assists Lead Mover in completion of moving furniture and event setups.
Customer Services and Administration - 15%
- Provides superior customer service to the campus community.
- Provides detailed, and accurate reports for work completed- will involve daily work logs.
- Maintains labor and cost records and requisitions materials, supplies and equipment as required.
- Record time and materials for customer billing
Training and Safety Practices - 15%
- Participates in job-related training.
- Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of shift, removing tools and equipment from trucks and placing in proper storage.
- Locking all trucks and equipment.
- May be required to work in the proximity to hazardous materials and is expected to work safely
- Complies with all OSHA regulations.
- Performs all job duties in compliance with NAU safety policies and procedures.
Other duties as assigned -5%
- May be required to work with other departments on projects.
- May assist Moving Department in the completion of moving furniture and event setups
- No minimum education
- No/limited prior experience required
- High School Degree
- 1 year grounds experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the horticulture procedures.
- Knowledge of equipment, tools, and procedures of grounds construction and care.
- Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
- Operating grounds maintenance and grounds construction equipment.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships.
- Basic computer skills to record time.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to work effectively with people.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, NAU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 18, 2022. For questions about vaccines and medical or religious accommodations, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $15.50 per hour. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a part-time, non-benefit eligible position.
Applications received by March 23, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.