Student Success and Diversity Librarian
The University of San Diego's Copley Library seeks an energetic, entrepreneurial-style librarian to serve as the Student Success and Diversity Librarian, a new position in the Library. This is a 12-month tenure-track faculty position. Reporting to the Dean of the University Library, the Student Success and Diversity Librarian will be a member of the Reference Department.
This librarian will be deeply engaged in all areas dealing with undergraduate student success, including first-year students, transfer students, first-generation college students, new student orientation, Associated Student Government, Summer Bridge, and sororities and fraternities. They will also be responsible for developing and maintaining a vision for the Library's burgeoning open education resources (OER) program and growing it. The librarian will liaise with offices in the library and university that deal with diversity, equity, and inclusion matters, such as the Center for Inclusion and Diversity, the Black Student Resource Center, the Asian Students Association, the Diverse Sexuality and Gender Alliance, the Veterans Center, the TRIO McNair Scholars Program, and Student Support Services.
The ideal candidate will have strong instruction skills and experience as a reference and liaison librarian. This is a highly collaborative position that requires the Student Success and Diversity Librarian to work with library colleagues, students, faculty, and administrators. Specifically, they will collaborate with the Instruction Coordinator on instruction-related initiatives and the Head of Access and Outreach Services on outreach activities. This inaugural position provides the opportunity for a librarian to shape the position and to create new campus partnerships and services along with strengthening existing ones. The librarian must meet reappointment, tenure, and promotion criteria. Perform other duties as assigned. Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/ Background check:
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.Degree Verification Requirement:
Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS is required
- Minimum two years experience in an academic or research library
- Highly collaborative and experienced with conducting outreach and marketing activities
- Strong commitment to service excellence
- Experience as a liaison librarian and/or working with, e.g., first-year students, transfer students, and first-generation college students.
- Knowledge/Experience in the ACRL Information Literacy Framework
- Strong information literacy instruction and presentation skills; maintains currency in pedagogical practices and strategies.
- Adept at using resources to support instruction, e.g., Blackboard, LibGuides, EndNote, and tutorials as well as keeping up with emerging technologies
- Capable of developing a vision for growing and promoting the Library’s OER program
- Knowledge of copyright and emerging trends in scholarly communications
- Experience with diverse student groups and providing support services and programs
- Experience working reference in-person and online to a university community
- Ability to work some evenings to work reference, conduct instruction sessions, or attend events
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively or independently
- Demonstrate evidence of self-motivation, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to learn quickly
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Serve on university committees that focus on students, diversity, and open educational resources
- Advance the Library’s program by serving on library committees and task forces
- Approach work from an equity and inclusion perspective in dealing with students and faculty
- Record of active membership in professional associations and scholarship (presentations and publications) to meet reappointment, tenure, and promotion criteria
- Enjoy working with and advocating for students
- Experience working with faculty
- Capable of managing a project
- Capable of adapting to change
- Understands accountability and the need to assess programs and progress
Commensurate with experience; Minimum salary $77,617; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website USD: Human Resources:
to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. The University assists with moving expenses.
Special Application Instructions
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). Letter of application Curriculum Vitae Names, addresses and telephone numbers of four professional references (colleagues, liaison faculty, and previous supervisors)
Deadline: Formal review of application will begin April 4, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. The selected candidate can begin work immediately.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, Dean of the University Library, (619) 260-2370, [email protected]
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
and reference job posting #4085.
Princeton Review ranked the University of San Diego #6 most beautiful college campus in the nation. The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Student enrollment 9,041 undergraduate, paralegal, graduate and law students. The university is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/495863/student-success-and-diversity-librarian
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency