Perform a variety of routine and complex technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Job duties are dependent on the laboratory and may be composed of a combination of the following duties and responsibilities related to the specialization. Tasks are performed according to written procedures and policies with careful monitoring of quality control and quality assurance practices. Tuesday through Saturday - 8:00am to 4:30pm.
- Perform a variety of tests in clinical laboratories using standard techniques and equipment; perform related duties in the laboratory to include specimen handling, using manual and automatic equipment to test specimens, and perform and report analytical tests.
- Operate manual or computerized instrumentation. Calibrate and maintain instrumentation according to standard operating procedure.
- Process patient samples for testing using appropriate identification techniques and written procedures to ensure quality material for testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of assay problems as directed by senior staff. Communicate problems/issues to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory tests and techniques.
- Participate in the preparation for lab inspections. Review lab inspection documents and procedures to maintain knowledge. Bring any non-compliance issues to the attention of upper level staff.
- Perform proficiency testing as directed to maintain compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Document quality control and quality assurance results. Notify upper level personnel of instrument malfunctions or unusual or unexpected data or results.
- Review written procedures and policies for accuracy and submit changes to manager or designee.
- Understand, comply, and perform with all necessary safety procedures. Maintain compliance with safety training. Report all safety incidents within 24 hours.
- Attend all laboratory meetings, safety and compliance training as required.
- Comply with competency testing procedures for the laboratory staff.
- Comply with laboratory training programs.
- May provide technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Use behaviors that support achievement of balanced scorecard targets and support DUHS values.
- Consistently cooperate and communicate effectively with co-workers to ensure effective workflow.
Bachelors of Science/Bachelor of Arts in Chemical, Physical, Biological or Clinical Laboratory Science; or Medical Technology. Generalist certification required for General labs. Generalist/Specialty certification required for specialty labs.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Registry eligible. Generalist/Specialty Certification by a nationally recognized board/agency (required within 18 months of hire).
Certification will vary depending on laboratory.
Advanced degree (MS or higher) accepted in lieu of certification.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.