Student Academic Advisor (4545U) - 32331
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley Extension, the continuing education division of the University of California, Berkeley, has been building bridges between UC Berkeley and the public since 1891. UC Berkeley Extension serves the professional and continuing education goals of thousands of people each year. Extension's programs are an essential part of the University mission to: extend the research and scholarship of UC Berkeley to a global community; increase access to higher education for non-traditional, online and international students; and improve the workforce.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 18, 2022
- Provides guidance to students on entry into the post baccalaureate pre-health program, and advice on course selection, program completion requirements, and creation of application materials for acceptance into professional health programs.
- Utilizes significant experience to provide advice and counselling to students on all academic issues that arise during their coursework.
- Advises students on a wide range of course possibilities to meet their goals based on their prior academic record and future goals.
- Recommends solutions to progression and requirement issues.
- Meets with students 1:1 to advise them as they progress through the program, helps them assess their readiness to apply to professional schools, and mentors them towards these goals.
- Mentors students on issues related to interview skills and provides mock interview preparation sessions and personal statement writing assistance to make them more competitive applicants.
- Identifies barriers or distractors to a student's chance of success, and provides guidance and makes appropriate referrals.
- Advises students on additional opportunities such as internships, to enhance their applications.
- Using extensive professional knowledge of the full range of academic and other requirements for acceptance to allopathic and osteopathic medical programs, nursing, pharmacy and dental programs, assists the program director in assessment of the program applicants' overall record and experience for final admissions into the program.
- Communicates policy information and academic advice in collaboration with the program director and coordinator in addressing student academic issues.
- Resolves issues, questions & problems that may arise between instructors & students as they relate to the post bac program.
- Assists the program director in managing data related to the program including applicants, program acceptances, sending out surveys for student satisfaction of courses, program, and their successful admittance into professional schools.
- Plays a significant role in the design and execution of health career seminar courses that aim to advise students on the program, and their application to professional schools.
- Participates in career fairs and other external venues for advising prospective students.
- Manages other duties related to the student advising and academic success as assigned by director and program director.
- Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of typical undergraduate/graduate/non-traditional college/school policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving.
- Abilities in problem identification, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Experience working with prospective health professions students in an academic advising setting
- Experience with admissions and review of student applications, preferably at a graduate-level
- Knowledge of or ability to learn University processes and procedures.
- Understanding of or ability to learn University rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in service orientation, active listening, critical thinking.
- Ability to multi-task, verbal communication, written communication, organization.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google G suite.
- Thorough knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population.
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures to prospective students and the public.
- Comprehensive knowledge of pre-health graduate programs, credits, point systems, and curricula for admission decisions
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with schools, universities, community organizations, and other institutions.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn UC Berkeley and/or Extension admission policy/procedure.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
This is a 1-year, full-time, 40-hours per week, renewable contract position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=32331&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency