Job no: 520808
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Research/Scientific/Grants, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:29080100 - MD-PATHOLOGY-GENERAL
Core Research Facility Technician II
This position will serve as a Lab Technician/ OR Runner in the CTSI Biorepository Laboratory in the Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine. Incumbent of this position will act as a tissue acquisition and dissection technician in the CTSI Biorepository Lab.
- Procure and dissect tissue, bodily fluid and other specimens according to GLP Standards by following appropriate SOPs:
- Identify patients who have consented for surgery through communication with CTSI Biorepository regulatory staff.
- Coordinate with faculty surgeons, nursing staff, the operating room staff, and surgical pathology gross room staff and other Biorepository team members to acquire tissue and other specimens.
- Procure, dissect, process and preserve tissue, bodily fluid and other specimen types according to standard operating procedure.
- Document relevant data on appropriate forms; enter data into the OnCore database; store the specimen in appropriate location assist in the verification process of all specimens and data.
- Provide superior customer service to investigators and external clients by assisting with requested services including distributing specimens, providing updated notification regarding procurement and distribution process.
- Perform quarterly QA procedures of Biorepository Library specimens as well as client specimens and keep QA records up to date.
- Training of new Biorepository staff in all laboratory processes and procedures as well as performing annual competency testing
- Monitor and document instrument/equipment performance used in the CTSI Biorepository Laboratory. Assist in daily, weekly, monthly maintenance and schedule calibration of all necessary equipment according to GLP Standards. File CTSI Biorepository documents in the appropriate locations. Use of hazardous chemicals, liquid nitrogen, and biohazardous materials. Supervise annual EH&Slab safety and biosafety inspections.
- Assist in the writing and editing of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and development of forms used for CTSI Biorepository Laboratory processes. Perform all laboratory processes according to relevant issued SOP and document all data on appropriate forms. Prepare deviation if processes not performed according to the issued SOPS. Perform bi-annual SOP verification.
- Establish and manage a strong, effective working relationship with multiple clinical and research departments within Shands and the UF College of Medicine such as pathologists and other physicians, nurses, OR staff, surgical pathology staff, Molecular Pathology Core and other medical and research professionals.
- Assess the status of sample shipments upon arrival, record relevant information on the appropriate forms, enter data on the OnCore database, store specimens in appropriate locations, and generate appropriate reports to be sent to recipient sites according to the appropriate SOPs.
- Maintain up to date inventory for the CTSI Biorepository supplies and assist the supervisor as needed including assessing the status of any shipment received in the CTSI Biorepository.
Salary range is between $17.00 - $22.00 per hour; commensurate with education and experience.
BA/BS in related scientific field required with hands-on experience in basic laboratory and scientific methods. Optionally, 3 years of experience in science related field with at least 2 years in core specific applications. Research-based experience preferred. Core or technology specific licensure and/or certifications where applicable. Additionally yearly certificate and compliance training if required.
- Communication skills which will allow the employee to interact with UF physicians, clients, and other health professionals in a professional manner.
- Ability to work in a potentially stressful environment.
- Ability to learn various aspects of laboratory operations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This is a time limited position.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 05 Apr 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 10 Jun 2022 Eastern Daylight Time