PG191443EPInternal Recruitment :
Director of Cybersecurity PracticeAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experienceWork Schedule:
Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm or Monday-Friday, 9:00am - 6:00pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Computer ScienceAbout the Department:
The Department of Computer Science is an academic teaching and research department in the College of Engineering. It is a large and complex unit that encompasses research intensive, teaching intensive, and professional activities. It is one of the largest such departments in the nation by the number of faculty and students, and its total budget and size are comparable to, or larger than, a number of NC State University colleges and divisions.Essential Job Duties:
The Director of Cybersecurity Practice will be the technical liaison between the companies / government agencies and the Secure Computing Institute (SCI) and the North Carolina Partnership for Cybersecurity Excellence (NC-PaCE), gaining perspective and sharing challenges and solutions.
Primary activities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Acting as the liaison between the companies/government and the SCI/NC-PaCE gaining perspective and sharing challenges and solutions
- Coordinating a membership-based consortium of industrial and government organizations with security concerns.
- Founding and running a cybersecurity conference to support industry needs.
- Pursuing an education mission for practitioners, including short courses and certificate programs.
- Formation of a Community of Practice in cybersecurity
- Pursuing grants from industry for joint research projects with SCI researchers, potentially leading to licensable IP and technology commercialization.
- Coordinating a public lecture series
The position will exist within the SCI and will report to the institute co-directors. The Director will work as a peer of the Director of Cybersecurity Education aiding in the identification, recruitment, and review of instructors for short courses, mentors for capstone student projects, placement for internships and full time positions, and pursuing the possibility of offering continuing cybersecurity education to professionals, potentially teaching courses for practitioners.
The Director will also be expected to be highly engaged with students, building on existing student group initiatives (e.g., Hackpack —https://hackpack.club
) and developing new opportunities for students. The Director is expected to actively pursue industry research grants to ensure sustained support for the position and the institute research initiative.Other Responsibilities:
Performs other related duties to ensure the well-being of the cybersecurity education initiates at NC State.Minimum Education and Experience:
Other Required Qualifications:
- Post-baccalaureate credentials or bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training or experience to substitute an advanced degree.
- Passion for building bridges between the university and industry/government for the common cybersecurity good
- Significant experience in cybersecurity
- Highly motivated, organized individual that will actively pursue research and practice opportunities.
- Interpersonal skills needed to recruit, manage, and review, industry-based lecturers.
- Written skills needed to pursue funding and document results and outcomes.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or closely related field.
- Extensive experience in industry / government
- Extensive contacts in industry / government
- Strong reputation in field
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
01/12/2022Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, research statement, and the contact information for at least three (3) professional references. Position Number:
This position is eligible to be hired at 9-months or 12-months
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
141901 - Computer Science-engrAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.