Posting #: 4084
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Administrator, Athletics
Position Title & Department:
Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations; AthleticsPosting #
As part of the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic University, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to advancing academic and athletic excellence and enhancing students' lives while promoting the University of San Diego.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Assistant Director for Facilities and Operation is responsible for many of the athletic facility operations as they relate to set-up and preparation for events. Duties include, but are not limited to, load-in/load-out for events, coordination of game and practice logistics with athletic department personnel, physical set-up and tear-down of athletic contests and special events. This position will participate in the hiring, training, and evaluating of students, part-time employees and on-site vendors for event management. Position is responsible for liaising with campus maintenance personnel for the successful operation of facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Physical Operations, Event Setups, Administration, and Event Management
- Performs and coordinates the physical set-up and tear-down of equipment for events.
- Acts as host and event manager for assigned sports and events
- Coordinates the work of facilities management personnel and non-campus vendors for events within the athletic facilities.
- Oversees scheduling, operations and maintenance throughout the athletic facilities.
- Attends departmental and university meetings as required.
Administrative and Management Responsibilities
- Coordinates the use and maintenance for all athletic department vehicles
- In coordination with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Facilities and Operations, recruits, hires, trains, schedules, and supervises USD employees for event management including ushers, ticket takers and operations staff. Ensures that proper and adequate management techniques are employed.
- Utilizes EMS to schedule facility usage in coordination with Facilities and Operations staff.
Facilities Management and Repair
- Serves as a liaison with Facilities Management supervisors and staff
- Oversees and tracks work orders, produces building maintenance reports and schedule; requests special needs to designated Facilities Management personnel.
- Provides assistance and direction to custodial staff throughout Athletic Facilities
- Completes timely corrective repairs and preventative maintenance on a regular basis
- Makes recommendations for facility improvements and repairs
- Manages and stores equipment used throughout athletic facilities (tables, goals, etc.)
- Coordinates major repairs in conjunction with the Associate Athletic Director for Facilities and Operations.
Tools and Equipment Used
- Personal computer, Microsoft Office applications, EMS scheduling software, WorkDay, Concur.
- Event and game management equipment (hydraulic ladders, scoreboard controllers and clock systems, A/V equipment, PA/sound systems, video displays and equipment)
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Availability to work long hours, nights and weekends.
- Willingness to travel occasionally to away contests, NCAA event and WCC meetings, when appropriate and necessary.
- Willingness to be on call for short-notice events.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two years of experience in athletic/event management and operations, specifically with NCAA Division I athletics programs and operations preferred.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations preferred.
- Supervisory experience, specifically with students preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organized, motivated, self-reliant person with good interpersonal skills
- Possess proven experience in dealing with the technical aspects of athletic/event management and equipment.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical tasks in a professional and efficient manner.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
- Be cognizant of the University mission and goals, and represent the University accordingly in a positive manner.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
- California Driver’s License
- CPR/AED Certification required within six weeks of employment
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: March 04, 2022 Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled