DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU DenverHuman Resources DepartmentHR Principal Professional (Employee Relations Consultant)Position # 00793795 – Requisition 24612 Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*This position is currently eligible for fully remote work. A hybrid work schedule which consists of 2 days per week on campus and as-needed for in-person meetings may be implemented at some point.The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date.Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at: Denver: https://www.ucdenver.edu/coronavirus
• Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Denver campus has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Employee Relations Consultant position.
The University of Colorado Denver is the state’s premier public urban research university and equity-serving institution. Globally connected and locally invested, CU Denver partners with future-focused learners and communities to design accessible, relevant, transformative educational experiences for every stage of life and career. Across eight schools and colleges in the heart of downtown Denver, our leading faculty inspires and works alongside students to solve complex challenges through boundary-breaking innovation and impactful research and creative work. As part of the state’s largest university system, CU Denver is a major contributor to the Colorado economy, with 2,000 employees and annual economic impact of more than $800 million. For more information, visit www.ucdenver.edu
Jobs in this career family provide the management of human capital. Functions include providing advice and guidance to managers and employees, and performing functions including strategic planning and analysis, compliance with policies and laws, employment and compensation, job evaluation, performance and leave management, employee training/development, reward and recognition, employee relations, affirmative action, benefits, employee records/information, and payroll.Principal Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed at an advanced or expert level.Position Emphasis:
Staff SME role in campus-wide consulting on employee relations, investigations related to policy violation issues, performance management process and communication, manage and provide consultation around accommodation and Family Medical Leave requests. Positions reports to the Human Resources Assistant Vice Chancellor for the Denver campus.Examples of Work Performed:
Salary and Benefits:
- Consulting with assigned schools, colleges and departments on constructive methods, processes, applicable federal, state and Regent laws/regulations (including FLMA and FLSA) and providing options for resolving conflicts and improving work relationships and the work environment.
- Guiding and advising managers and HR partners in assigned units on employee relations matters, including resolving performance issues, managing leaves and addressing classified staff employee grievances.
- Consulting with assigned departments on the annual performance evaluation processes.
- Conducting investigations into allegations of violations of the university’s Anti-Violence Policy, Bullying, Conflict of Interest and other policies.
- Contributing to the development of, and conduct, training courses on generalist HR topics such as, performance management, providing feedback.
- Administer University and legislative programs related to Faculty/Staff ADA accommodation request process, unemployment claims, university and classified staff layoff processes.
- Consult with employee resources in working through workplace concerns and conflicts sharing options and campus/community resources available.
The salary range for this position has been established at $61,765 to $79,100.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck.Benefits:
The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical: Multiple plan optionsDental: Multiple plan optionsAdditional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and WellnessRetirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross payPaid Time Off: Accruals over the year
Vacation Days: 22Sick Days: 15Holidays: 10Tuition Benefits: System employees have the benefit on all campuses.ECO Pass: RTD Buss and light rail services.Additional Perks & Programs: https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers/perks/cu-system
to access our Total Compensation Calculator
to see what your total rewards could be at CU.This position is a University Staff position. For a full list of benefits, visit https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefitsDiversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment. The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related fieldFour years of progressive professional experience in employee/organizational relations and work as an HR Generalist Business Partner or Employee Relations specialist.Required:
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Substitution:
A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis.Preferred Qualifications:
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Higher Education human resources experience.
- Master’s degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field.
- Certification from a professional HR Association (PHR, SPHR, IPMA).
- Experience working with FMLA, ADA and FLSA regulations.
- Experience working with HRIS systems.
- Experience working with State of Colorado Personnel Rules.
- Experience assessing and addressing employee engagement issues.
- Ability to actively listen and share relevant information, identify problems, establish and maintain effective and smooth working relationships, and work effectively with internal and external constituents to satisfy service expectations.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and evaluate a broad range of laws, rules, and regulations in order to exercise good judgment in applying them to human resource functions.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrate high accountability to self, the department and the university through ethical behavior.
- Knowledge of professional standards, concepts, and practices of addressing performance management issues and training
- Ability to effectively present information and trainings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal and external customers.
- Ability to Adapt to change in organizations and provide clear communication with stakeholders through various stages of change.
- Knowledge of State personnel rules.
- Knowledge of university rules and regulations.
- Familiarity with applicable Federal, state and university laws, regulations and policies.
- Outstanding customer services skills.
Human ResourcesPrimary Location:
Mar 3, 2022Unposting Date: