Facilities Services Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Staff Posting Details Appointment:
regular, full-time, (1.0) FTE.Position Summary:
Responsible for all duties associated with landscape maintenance program on the university’s 97-acre urban campus. Responsible for keeping the campus in safe condition during snow or stormy weather. Applies pesticides under the direction of the grounds supervisor, operates small and large sized power equipment as needed, and may be responsible to oversee student staff when they are working on particular tasks. Required to
perform the job safely. Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Communicate information freely with coworkers.
- Direct student staff members in grounds activities as needed.
- Perform all duties as needed associated with maintaining the campus landscape and outdoor activities.
- Responsible for labor, equipment, and materials on assigned projects.
- Work in a safe manner at all times.
- Turf related tasks; mows, trims, edges, seeds, fertilizes, top-dress, aerates, stripes, rakes, waters.
- Bed related tasks; weed control manually and chemically, soil amendments, planting fertilizing, pruning shrubs (shearing and selective), pruning trees, mulching roads and walkways.
- Sweep, rake, blow clean, clear storm drain inlets.
- Snow and storm related clean-up.
- Support various campus construction projects, internal and external.
- Pickup garbage throughout campus, drive garbage truck to dump, clean garbage truck.
- Prune ivy on buildings.
- Apply pesticide and herbicide at the direction of the supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Student Staff grounds workers
- Assign work (distribute work and guide priorities)
- Oversee work (supervise tasks or projects)
- Direct work (train staff, review and approve work)
This position has no fiscal responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of tasks and equipment associated with trade.
- Knowledge of safe operation of various vehicles.
- Knowledge of general landscape maintenance.
- Ability to work independently as well as in groups.
- Ability to direct student staff in ground related work.
- Ability to communicate in a manner that fosters team work in groups.
- Ability to work in all types of weather.
- Ability to be on-call for special needs and emergencies.
- Ability to operate single axel trucks in a safe and responsible manner.
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Valid driver’s license
- General knowledge of landscape maintenance
- Occasionally pushing/pulling between 36-50 pounds
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community
Compensation and Benefits: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: https://pugetsound.edu/human-resources/benefitsApplication Deadline:
Review of application materials will begin immediately.
Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Required Documents:
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of all required background checks. All new hires will be required to submit proof of current COVID-19 vaccination (including booster) or receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the university.Diversity Statement:
We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: https://pugetsound.edu/about-puget-sound-0/mission-core-values/institutional-equity-diversity
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.