The Creative Director advances the mission, vision, and goals of Middlebury and all its entities—College, Institute of International Studies in Monterey, Language Schools, Schools Abroad, Bread Loaf School of English and Writer's Conferences, and School of the Environment—by leading three teams whose work is both crucial and interconnected in our communications and marketing office: Graphic Design, Project Management, and Printing and Mailing Services. The Creative Director is a superb conceptor and producer of deliverables that drive strategy for marketing and communications efforts across platforms; an exceptional graphic artist who takes on their own ambitious portfolio of projects; adept in all genres—editorial, marketing, advertising, and brand; a skilled manager who enables talented staff to thrive; a champion of rigorous project management practices to keep a high-volume enterprise operating at peak; versed in printing and mailing technologies; client-oriented; and an insightful creative who can capture the soul of a mission-driven institution in words and images that are smart, human, and organic to the place. Reporting to the vice president for communications and marketing and working with colleagues across the department and throughout the institution, the Creative Director has genuine appreciation for the values of higher education, diverse and inclusive communities, and global perspectives.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
· Supervise three teams—Graphic Design, Project Management, Printing and Mailing Services—with care and attention to their collaborations.
· Establish communications and marketing priorities with the vice president and leadership peers across the department.
· Guide big-picture design strategy and visual vocabulary to show authentic Middlebury to stakeholders in partnership with the vice president and key colleagues.
· In Graphic Design, nurture creativity, spark, and fulfilling business goals of every project (among other priorities).
· In Project Management, foster efficient workflow in a fluid environment with shared expectations of creatives and clients (among other priorities).
· In Printing and Mailing Services, integrate expertise across the division, mindful of the goals of each project (among other priorities).
· Supervise concepting and development of compelling designs in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment, including web, social media, print, photography, illustration, event collateral, video, and related media.
· Encourage pushing boundaries in design aligned with brand; promote the symbiosis of words and images; strive to reach heart and head with work that is human, colloquial, memorable—and able to meet business goals.
· Take on an ambitious portfolio of designs, from ideation to final products. · Assist team members in determining appropriate freelancers and vendors and help orchestrate their work.
· Assign projects to the design staff, either as single-person producers or as members of larger creative teams.
· Be an ongoing resource for the project managers and printing and mailing teams bringing insight, support, and problem solving.
· Help foster a communications and marketing culture that relies on data to drive creative, recognizing the difference between outputs and outcomes.
· Manage department budget responsibly.
· Perform other duties as assigned to help the department fulfill its mission
Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in graphic design, communications, fine arts, or related fields desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· A strategic approach to every project: bringing exceptional creative vision to achieve business goals through compelling graphic designs.
· Deep experience working across genres and platforms—from editorial to marketing to brand—in print, web, social, and integrated campaigns.
· Highly skilled leading teams as an attentive and compassionate manager.
· Genuine respect for and the ability to promote inclusive, equitable, and diverse communities.
· Proficiency in project management, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize work in a deadline-driven environment. · Versed in current printing and mailing technologies.
· Excellence in magazine art direction, design, production.
· Excellence in typography, layout, and prototyping.
· Proficiency in Adobe CC and related software.
· Understanding of UX best practices and how they relate to accessibility standards and responsive-mobile-first designs. · Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to address problems in a professional manner and with a positive attitude.
· Ability to work in fast-paced, high-pressure environment while exercising steadiness, diplomacy, and tact. · Ability to handle confidential and sensitive materials as required.
· Proficiency managing a departmental budget.
· A self-starter—action-oriented and resourceful—who can take a project from concept to launch to completion.
· Ability to navigate ambiguity in a complex institution.
· Experience in working in a decentralized environment is desirable.
· Must be flexible and available outside of normal business hours. May be required to respond to urgent matters at all times of the day and/or on scheduled days off.
Minimum of 5 to 7 years as a creative director, art director, design director, or senior designer with direct management of a creative team. Experience in higher education and in setting the design direction for an organization desirable.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information on our background check policy can be found here: http://go.middlebury.edu/backgroundchecks
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/26441
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency