Job no: 513291
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Institute Applied Life Science
Categories: Laboratory & Research, Research
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Cell Culture Core Director is responsible for operation of the Cell Culture Core Facility in the Institute for Applied Life Sciences. The Cell Culture Core provides essential resources for researchers at UMass and external users, such as lab space and equipment, training and technical expertise as consultants or service providers.
- Responsible for the maintenance and preservation of the Plant Cell Culture Library (PCCL), a rare and extensive collection of plant cell callus cultures valued at $1.4M.
- Hire, train and manage up to five undergraduate work-study students each semester to maintain the Plant Cell Culture Library.
- Ensure daily operation, maintenance, and calibration of equipment.
- Foster relationships with users and clients to address needs and project management of services.
- Promote and expand the capabilities of the Cell Culture Core.
- Manage the day to day maintenance and scheduling of equipment and space in four labs.
- Provide technical expertise/services to internal and external clients and disseminate data/results.
- Prepare analysis reports and presentation.
- Assist faculty, students, and outside users with data analysis and interpretation.
- Participate in research by training students and/or faculty, or providing technical services to advance research.
- Assist with running training courses for students and external users, including preparing training materials, teaching small group classes and demonstrating cell culture techniques.
- Assist the Director of Core Facilities with administrative and logistical lab support to Collaboratory tenants.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- MS in Molecular and Cellular Biology with five (5) years of plant or animal cell culture experience.
- Proven record of laboratory and professional growth through demonstrated history of promotion to roles of increasing responsibility.
- Experience conducting research in an academic or industry environment.
- Must understand scientific methods and research requirements.
- Excellent hands-on laboratory skills.
- Knowledge of principles of laboratory operation and management.
- Expertise in plant and animal cell culture and aseptic technique.
- Expertise in cellular assay development.
- Experience with primary cell culture.
- Demonstrated experience with cell separation techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with gene editing techniques.
- Experience with Flow Cytometry and/or Light Microscopy.
- Must be detail oriented and meticulous regarding documentation and data management.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in parallel and rapidly adjust to changing priorities.
- Proven ability to maintain productive relationships with faculty, researchers, students, and external collaborators.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Biology.
- Strong molecular biology skills.
- Project manager/leadership experience.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Research laboratory environment. Requires the ability to stand, bend, reach, sit, twist, and perform repetitive movements.
The Core Director will report to the IALS Core Facilities Director and receive guidance from the Cell Culture steering committee, and the Light Microscopy and Flow Cytometry Facility directors.
Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours/week.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Mar 2 2022 Eastern Standard Time