TITLE: Media and Communications Assistant
DEPARTMENT: College of Agriculture
REPORTS TO: KSU Media Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: TBD
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
Reporting to the Media and Communications Manager on the Kentucky State University Campus, Social Media Coordinator and Media and Communications Assistant will be responsible for assisting the College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences Media and Communications Department with efforts to promote the work of the Land Grant Program and Kentucky State University through educational outreach, video production, graphic design, public relations, and more. The primary role of this position is to assist with script and story board creation, in addition to being host for a variety of extension and research video projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
1. Assists media and communications department with efforts to promote the work of the Land Grant Program and Kentucky State University, primarily through social media but also through video production, graphic design and public relations.
2. Responsible for assisting with virtual and in-person event planning, coordination, and set up to support Extension and outreach opportunities.
3. Provides support for communications ideas and goals throughout the year.
4. Helps identify newsworthy happenings within the Land Grant Program and writes press releases.
5. Assists with physical set up and staffing of virtual and on- and off-campus exhibits.
6. Assists with exhibits at schools and events at local, statewide, and national/international levels.
7. Assists with the creation of graphic materials for events.
8. Assists the video production department with projects including writing scripts and helping with equipment.
9. Assists with audio/visual and information technology needs for the Land Grant Program.
10. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agriculture Communications, Communications, or related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Ability to use a personal computer and a variety of related software applications.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
• Ability to take initiative and be resourceful and punctual.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to adhere to deadlines.
• Valid driver’s license is required.
• Experience with graphic design is preferred.
• Experience with social media management is preferred.
• Experience with video production equipment is preferred.
• Experience in event planning and/or set up is preferred.
• Work is normally performed in either a typical interior/office work environment or in a farm-related setting.
• Must be able to work outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions, including heat or rain.
• Ability to lift 15lbs required.
• This position requires some night meetings, weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings.
• A valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle for official duty travel are required. Mileage will be reimbursed at a rate established by the University.