Adjunct Instructor, Personal Enrichment
- Hagerstown Community College
- Hagerstown, MD
- Faculty Jobs
- Professional Fields, Technical & Vocational Fields
- Administrative Jobs
- Institutional & Business Affairs, Continuing & Professional Studies Programs
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
This position is responsible for teaching non-credit courses for the Personal Enrichment program for Workforce Solutions and Continuing Education at Hagerstown Community College. Adjunct Instructors, Personal Enrichment teach proposed or existing courses approved by the Program Manager and Dean. The number of courses taught per semester and their duration vary based on the instructor’s area of expertise, student interest, and other scheduled courses. The instructor’s area of expertise should be clearly outlined in the application, cover letter, or resume.
Course topics in Personal Enrichment include, but are not limited to:
- Culinary Arts
- Dance, Music, and Recreation
- Fine and Studio Art, Photography, and Crafting
- Floral Design, Home and Garden
- Language, Literature, and Writing
- History, Genealogy, Philosophy, and Religion
- Personal Finance and Life Planning
- Science and Nature
Adjunct Instructors, Personal Enrichment report directly to and are responsible to the Program Manager for Personal Enrichment.
- Plan detailed, relevant, progressive lesson plans to engage students.
- Provide course descriptions and learning objectives to the Program Manager.
- Provide differentiated instruction to meet the various needs and levels of students.
- Provide instruction using appropriate and effective technology, standards of delivery, and a variety of methods on instruction.
- Actively engage students in discussion and critical thinking.
- Cultivate open-minded inquiry.
- Promote cooperation and mutual respect among students.
- Infuse multicultural and diverse perspectives into the instructional processes as appropriate, and conduct classes in a manner that demonstrates respect for individual and cultural differences.
- Complete orientation process for adjunct faculty.
- Submit and update personnel forms required for employment.
- Provide master copies or lists for instructional materials in a complete and timely manner to allow preparation and distribution.
- Provide timely notice if unable to attend class or scheduled meetings.
- Submit class evaluations and other documents as directed by program staff.
- Participate as required in student complaint process.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education and Experience
- Appropriate education level (will vary based on the course teaching)
- Previous experience teaching
- Skills and Abilities
- Basic computer skills necessary for using technology in the classroom
- Excellent presentation and/or demonstration skills
- Ability to build a rapport with students
- Bachelor’s, Master’s degree, or PhD
- Previous experience teaching at a post-secondary level
- Experience teaching adult learners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use varying styles and approaches that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of culture in a diverse, multicultural workplace and classroom.
Hagerstown Community College (HCC) was founded in 1946 as the first of its kind in Maryland. More than 100 programs of study are available for university transfer, career preparation, and personal enrichment. HCC also offers non-credit continuing education courses and customized training programs, as well as remedial and developmental courses to help students prepare for college-level offerings. Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, HCC awards associate degrees, certificates, and letters of recognition.
HCC employs approximately 540 individuals each year in full and part-time positions. Hundreds of student workers and campus volunteers also serve the campus community.
11400 Robinwood Dr.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert