This position is responsible for teaching non-credit, week-long, day camps for the College for Kids summer enrichment program for Workforce Solutions and Continuing Education at Hagerstown Community College. Adjunct Instructors, College for Kids teach proposed or existing camps approved by the Program Manager and College for Kids Team Lead.
The number of camps each instructor teaches per summer is based on the instructor’s area of expertise, student interest, and other scheduled camps. Each camp is 40 hours a week, Monday-Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM. Camp typically runs from mid-June to early August; program dates vary each summer.
The instructor’s area of expertise should be clearly outlined in the application, cover letter, or resume. Topics in College for Kids include, but are not limited to:
- Biology, Chemistry, and Medicine
- Computer Programming, Digital Animation
- Culinary Arts
- Dance and Music
- Engineering and Manufacturing
- Environmental Science and Nature
- Fine and Studio Art, Photography, and Crafting
- Language, Literature, and Writing
- History and World Cultures
- Personal Finance and Life Planning
- SAT Prep
Adjunct Instructor, College for Kids reports directly to and is responsible to the Program Manager for Youth Programs and the College for Kids Team Lead.
- Plan detailed, relevant, progressive lesson plans to engage students.
- Provide camp descriptions, learning objectives, and daily lesson plans to the Program Manager and Team Lead in a timely fashion.
- Provide differentiated instruction to meet the various needs and levels of students.
- Incorporate fun, educational hands-on activities relevant to learning objectives.
- Provide instruction using appropriate and effective technology, standards of delivery, and a variety of methods on instruction.
- Actively engage students in discussion and critical thinking.
- Cultivate open-minded inquiry.
- Promote cooperation and mutual respect among students.
- Infuse multicultural and diverse perspectives into the instructional processes as appropriate, and conduct classes in a manner that demonstrates respect for individual and cultural differences.
- Complete College for Kids orientation process for adjunct faculty.
- Submit and update personnel forms required for employment, including FBI/MD and CPS background checks.
- Provide master copies or lists for instructional materials in a complete and timely manner to allow preparation and distribution.
- Commit to being present and engaged for the full 40 hours of each camp session.
- Submit camp evaluations and other documents as directed by program staff.
- Participate as required in student complaint process.
- Uphold and enforce the College for Kids health and disciplinary protocols and procedures.
- Follow all Maryland Department of Health regulations for summer youth programs and College policies and procedures related to College for Kids.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education and Experience
- Appropriate education level (will vary based on the course teaching)
- Previous experience teaching
- Skills and Abilities
- Basic computer skills necessary for using technology in the classroom
- Excellent presentation and/or demonstration skills
- Ability to build a rapport with students
- Proven ability to manage a classroom of K-12 students
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous experience teaching K-12 students
- Experience teaching in a camp or similar setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use varying styles and approaches that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of culture in a diverse, multicultural workplace and classroom.
Team driven, office environment of professional character, competence and collaboration. Normal open office environment.