Regional Admissions Representative Location:
Santa Cruz Job ID:
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 03-10-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions generates, reviews, and processes in excess of 67,000 applications and serves approximately 38,000 campus visitors each year. The office has 44 career staff FTE, 45-50 part-time/temporary staff, and 150 student staff. Staff work locally and regionally throughout California and the nation.
The office is part of Enrollment Management, which includes Financial Aid and Scholarships, Orientation and Undergraduate Admissions. Enrollment Management is part of the multi-faceted academic Division of Undergraduate Education. Undergraduate Admissions, Enrollment Management and Undergraduate Education work closely with select Academic Senate committees.
Since its founding in 1965, the University of California, Santa Cruz, has grown from 652 students to nearly 19,000 students (2017-18) and earned international distinction as a world university with high-impact research, ranking 3rd in the world for research influence by Times Higher Education, and among the top 50 universities in the world, according to the U.S. News and World Report 2017 Best Global Universities rankings.
A campus with world-class facilities and one of the most visually spectacular settings in higher education, UC Santa Cruz offers rigorous academic programs and cutting-edge research opportunities. At the core of our progressive educational approach are our 10 distinctive residential colleges, which organize the campus into smaller living/learning communities.
More information can be found here: http://admissions.ucsc.edu/
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Director - First-Year Recruitment, the Regional Admissions Representative (RAR) conducts outreach and advising activities to prospective high school and transfer students interested in applying to the University of California, Santa Cruz. The incumbent establishes strong relationships with all constituents to increase awareness of UCSC’s brand and increase application and enrollment numbers of targeted student populations. The RAR provides information about the UC Santa Cruz educational experience and admissions requirements that will be shared during school visits, individual/small group appointments/workshops, and admitted student receptions. The incumbent’s focus for outreach is Southern California, but they will also participate in outreach efforts across the United States and with international audiences.
The representative participates in the planning, development, and implementation of recruitment strategies, assessing the effectiveness of all efforts in achieving enrollment goals. As a part of these plans, the representative will assist with the hiring, training, and supervision of student staff involved in recruitment and yield efforts. They will liaise with internal/external partners such as academic prep programs, community-based organizations, and UC collaboratives to increase pathways to UCSC. The incumbent will staff local, state, national, and international recruitment fairs and conferences representing the UC system and campus partners including Alumni Association, University Relations, Financial Aid and Scholarship, Housing, and academic divisions.
The incumbent applies a wide variety of policies and procedures to determine if applicants have met selection criteria for admission to UC Santa Cruz and if they have achieved eligibility to the University of California. This includes evaluating academic records of students from California, the U.S. and world. The RAR will also participate in determining transfer credit from external educational institutions and verifying student records for admission purposes.
The ideal candidate must think critically and creatively about how to deliver key messages across a variety of audiences using multiple platforms. They must have initiative, be detail oriented, quick on their feet and a natural problem solver. The incumbent must be able to multitask, own their own work and see assigned projects through to completion. A successful candidate possesses a startup mentality, passion and tenacity for making UC Santa Cruz relevant to prospective students.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $55,100 - $59,000/Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 2
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Contract appointment
Job End Date: 2 years from date of hire with possibility of extension
Work Location: Remote position based in Southern California
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: ADMISSIONS RECRMT SPEC 3 
Travel: Up to 50% of the time
- 25% - Serves as primary liaison for students and parents at high schools and California community colleges. Plans visits, makes presentations, provides group and individual advising. Provides in-depth information to prospective students and their parents on admissions requirements, prerequisite major courses, programs and curricula, financial aid criteria in educational and community-based organization settings.
- 20% - Uses extensive knowledge of admission policies and requirements to assess the applicants' overall record and preparation for initial admissions determination and recommendation. Researches domestic and foreign educational systems as needed and analyzes academic records from foreign secondary and tertiary institutions including study abroad records. This includes performing course-by-course evaluations for transfer credits.
- 15% - Plans, manages and implements domestic (primary) and some international events as a part of a larger outreach, recruitment and yield strategy. Recommends improvements and modifications to existing programs.
- 15% - Participates in all evaluation processes within Undergraduate Admissions as needed, including: application review, transcript clearing, ensuring correct coding and documentation of decisions and assistance with articulation.
- 10% - Collects, reviews and analyzes student data within the client relationship management (CRM) tool and other databases (AIS/InfoView) to assess the effectiveness of outreach, recruitment, and yield efforts in attracting targeted students to UCSC.
- 5% - Participates in the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of student staff.
- 5% - Completes necessary paperwork to adhere to UC, UCSC, and Undergraduate Admissions policies and procedures. This includes pre and post-travel planning and documentation and providing other compliance documentation as needed.
- 5% - Performs other functions as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Thorough knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to provide and receive clear, concise information, and to effectively communicate and present complex, technical information in professional settings with co-workers, prospective students, their families and the general public.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and implement extensive travel arrangements to domestic and international destinations.
- Ability to analyze data, including return on investment, to assess the efficacy of outreach and recruitment programs
- Ability to manage projects, provide accurate accounting of expenditures, analyze and interpret reports, and formulate and present recommendations.
- Knowledge and experience using standard computing tools including Microsoft Office applications, on-line databases, email, and web-based research tools.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion, particularly in matters relative to sensitive or confidential student records, personnel or organizational matters.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; experience working in the context of frequent interruptions and/or distractions.
- Knowledge of tertiary level foreign credentials, secondary school records, study abroad programs and policies, and knowledge of major educational systems of the world.
- Knowledge of and experience using the UC A-G Course List and Assist.org to advise students on course selection.
- Working knowledge of Oracle/PeopleSoft Campus Solutions system and CRM Systems, as well as other computing environments within higher education institutions.
- Knowledge of UC admissions practices and procedures, including undergraduate evaluations and transfer credit policies.
- Knowledge of languages other than English, both written and oral.
- Experience recruiting, hiring, training and supervising student staff.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Ability to hold valid U.S. Passport.
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
- Position requires the ability to spend between 25-40% of one’s schedule travelling to areas within California (primary) and occasional domestic travel to locations outside of the state.
- The Candidate must be able to travel extensively and work variable hours including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to move materials, weighing up to 25-30 pounds, with or without accommodation.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
This is a remote position that is based in Southern California.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$1');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;