Customer Service Adviser Location:
Santa Cruz Job ID:
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 03-03-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The University of California Santa Cruz enrolls more than 16,000 undergraduates, with more than 70% receiving some type of financial aid. The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office (FASO) strives to deliver high quality service to students and their families. We are committed to minimizing financial barriers and dedicated to providing students and their families access to a broad range of aid programs to support students in achieving their educational goals.
More information can be found here: https://financialaid.ucsc.edu/index.html
Uses professional financial aid concepts applied to a limited number of financial aid functions. Provides information and interpretation of standard policies, procedures and regulations. Works independently under general supervision in providing routine information. Receives direction regarding more complex programs. The Financial Aid Adviser is responsible for advising students and their families about financial aid programs administered by the UCSC Financial Aid and Scholarship office. The Adviser will verify information on financial aid applications, review special circumstance letters, package and revise awards as necessary. The incumbent will also work with students and parents at the front counter and the main phone line.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $23.95 - $25.40/Hourly. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 2
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: FINANCIAL AID OFCR 2 
Travel: Never or Rarely
- 50% - Provides advice and information to current and prospective students and parents on financial aid policies, procedures, and regulations.
- 15% - Analyzes student inquiries, determines relevant issues, and recommends solutions.
- 15% - Performs needs analysis and assesses eligibility, recommends adjustments to aid awards.
- 10% - Participates on standing department committees to raise issues and receive direction on practices and procedures.
- 10% - Participates in outreach services to prospective students, parents, and the general public.
- Basic knowledge of policies, regulations, and practices for awarding financial aid.
- Basic knowledge of university policies, processes, and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Ability to apply knowledge of policies to individual situations.
- Problem identification and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to calculate financial aid with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Written and verbal communication skills. Active listening skills. Customer service orientation.
- Ability to assess processes and recommend improvements. Good interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with standard office software, internet, and email applications. Basic knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Experience using complex databases.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');if (typeof(TextAreaObject) != 'undefined' && TextAreaObject != null) TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;