Scientific Researcher Location:
Tampa, FL Regular/Temporary:
Temporary Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Department Name/Number: Molecular Medicine / 0-6144-000
College/Division: USF Health- Morsani College of Medicine
Salary Plan: Temporary
Job Title:Scientific Researcher
Hiring Salary/Salary Range: $49,500 - $62,000 annually
A Scientific Researcher position is available immediately for a highly motivated candidate to study host-pathogen interactions and protein structure-function in Borrelia burgdorferi, the Lyme disease spirochete. The work includes broad latitude to design research under the direction of a principal investigator. Work typically involves design, conduct, and oversight of research, analysis of research findings, and interpretation and publication of results.
- Cloning, expression, and purification of recombinant proteins, protein structure analysis using NMR and/or X-ray crystallization, 40%
- Gene expression analysis using qPCR, transcriptomics, and proteomics, 20%
- Animal and tick infection analysis, 20%
- Reviews and analyzes resulting research data; compiles, writes, and submits research results to supervisor; drafts portions of grant proposals, 5%
- Trains and supervises post-doctoral fellows, graduate and undergraduate students, technicians and visiting investigators in carrying out laboratory procedures; composes written training manuals or procedures on equipment, 5%
- Performs other duties as assigned, 10%
- This position requires a Master’s degree in a natural science related to the specific area of research and two years of research experience.
- Doctoral study in a directly related field may substitute for the required experience.
- There is no substitution of experience allowed for the Master’s degree, as that is a mandatory qualification for positions assigned to this job class.
- Applicants have a Ph.D. degree, appropriate experience and training in microbiology, biochemistry, structural biology, or a related field.
- Applicants should have a strong background in molecular cloning, gene expression, RNA/protein analyses, and animal (mouse, rat) models.
- Experience in spirochetology and/or tick biology is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including facilitation and presentation skills.
Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
Job Opening Number: 30028
Posting Date: 02/18/2022
Posting End Date: 06/29/2022
How To Apply
Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.The University of South Florida does not discriminate on the basis of sex and prohibits sexual harassment. Any person may report sex discrimination, including sexual harassment (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to be the victim of conduct that could constitute sex discrimination or sexual harassment), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by electronic mail, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made at any time either online or directly to the University's Title IX Coordinator.
Campus map and location overview:
USF - Health
USF - Tampa Campus
The University of South Florida is a high-impact global research university dedicated to student success. Over the past 10 years, no other public university in the country has risen faster in U.S. News and World Report's national university rankings than USF. Serving more than 50,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee, USF is designated as a Preeminent State Research University by the Florida Board of Governors, placing it in the most elite category among the state's 12 public universities. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF
With more than 16,000 employees at USF, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.
Connect with us: