Job Number: 501660About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Temporary
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: NSU Aquatics Program
Categories: Student Life/Services - Housing, Recreation, Activities
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Scuba Instructor - TEMPORARYLocation:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
HourlySubject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
1. Prepares lesson plans.
2. Instructs and leads various scuba courses in the classroom and in the pool.
3. Utilizes multi-media and training aids.
4. Leads/assists with dive trips of both courses and recreational dives.
5. Administers course paperwork.
6. Conducts dive briefings.
7. Prepares, organizes, and closes the dive locker.
8. Distributes and collects equipment from students.
9. Tags equipment for repair and inspects safety equipment.
10. Works with divemasters.
11. Responsible for topside and underwater supervision of students.
12. Responds to student inquiries.
13. Fills scuba cylinders and rinses equipment.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.Marginal Job Functions:
1. Responsible for scuba equipment maintenance and repair.Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Excellent communication skills.
2. Ability to instruct various scuba courses.
3. Proficient in dive rescue and in the demonstration of standard scuba skills.
4. Must be able to carry diving equipment.Job Requirements:
1. Can only hold one temporary position within NSU.
2. You must be a non-smoker. Due to the fact that smoking increases the risk of decompression sickness or the bends and dramatically reduces proper gas exchange in the lungs causing reduction in Nitrogen elimination (susceptible to decompression sickness) and reduction in carbon dioxide elimination (leading to exhaustion underwater and panic) smoking (on and off campus) is prohibited in this role.Required Certifications/Licensures:
1. Must hold active certification status as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
2. Current CPR and First Aid Instructor certification (EFR Instructor).
3. Current Emergency Oxygen Provider or Instructor certification (DAN or EFR).
4. Must hold active Scuba Instructor Professional Liability Insurance or join our group policy, if hired.
5. Must hold DAN Diving Accident Insurance at the Master Level or higher.
6. Must be trained through the NSUADP PADI Instructor Development Course or complete an NSUADP semester-long practicum prior to consideration for hire.Required Education:
High School Diploma or EquivalentMajor (if required): Required Experience:
Previous experience as a dive professional working with students and certified divers in diverse aquatic environments.Preferred Qualifications: Is this a safety sensitive position?
Yes Background Screening Required?
Yes Pre-Employment Conditions:
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation.Sensitivity Disclaimer:
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Feb 16, 2022 Eastern Standard Time