: Division of STEM and Health CareersLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Feb 16, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under administrative responsibility of the Assistant Dean of STEM and Health Careers, and the general management and supervision of department chair, the Health Career Advisor provides an array of advising services and assistance to promote personal growth and informed educational and career planning and decision making. Works with prospective, new, and continuing students in both individual and group settings to help assist students explore educational and career options, establish academic and life goals, and implement related action plans.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic advising focused on helping new, continuing and returning students with exploration of their academic and career objectives.
- Participate in the planning, promotion and delivery of advising, registration and transition workshops and events for newly admitted and current students.
- Participate in Information Sessions for health career programs and provide.
- information to prospective students regarding applications, admissions, and program requirements.
- Provide academic advising to current students, including those requiring SOAP interventions, and refer students in need of personal counseling or therapeutic intervention to Student Development Faculty.
- Answer questions about health career program policies, procedures, and programs of study and support services provided by the College and direct students to the appropriate office/personnel.
- Collaborate with other departments throughout the College to support the success of students.
- Facilitate student use of the internet and other on-line resources to access relevant information for informed decisions regarding academic and career choices.
- Maintain an ongoing connection with students via the internet as a resource for academic career information.
- Conduct recruitment activities targeted at special populations.
- Maintain student and other records as required.
- Log phone calls and track prospective, current, and graduated health career program students.
- Collect, compile and prepare statistical data and sensitive information for reports, contracts, publications, etc., requiring information and knowledge of college operations and activities.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Master's degree is required, preferably in college student personnel work, counseling, adult continuing education, social work or related field.
- One or more years of successful advising and/or counseling experience, preferably in a college setting, is necessary.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop and conduct presentations for a variety of student audiences, are required.
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evening and weekend hours consistent with student need is necessary.
- Ability to read and accurately interpret academic and career advising information is necessary.
- Ability to integrate college-based, Internet and other computer-based information resources and software into the advising process is necessary.
- Ability to utilize a keyboard to enter, maintain and manipulate data in a personal computer is required.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Assistant Dean of STEM and Health Careers. Functional supervision is received from the department chair and/or project coordinator.
HOURS: (25 hours) Monday, Tuesday, Friday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm; Wednesday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm; Thursday, 1:00pm - 6:00 pm
SALARY: $27.42 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate and Mask Requirement.
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day probationary period, employees are required to report to campus.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.