Assistant Director of University EventsPosition Number:
Full TimeSensitive Position:
NoSensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. Campus Security Authority:
This is NOT a sensitive position.
NoCampus Security Authority Statement:
This position is NOT designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.Designated Personnel:
NoDesignated Personnel Statement:
A “designated position” could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing. This is NOT a “designated position.”Statement of Economic Interest:
NoStatement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.Restricted Position:
NoRestricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. This is NOT a restricted position.Chief Objective of Position:
In consultation with the Executive Director of University Events and Special Projects, Senior Administration, and collaboration with the University Events Team, the Assistant Director of University Events designs, plans, implements, and staffs an annual set of over 150 special events to include: commencement, convocations, Board of Visitors’ meetings and events, presidential meetings and events, ceremonial events and anniversaries, Welcome Week and Getting Started Week events, Freshman Dessert series, Family Weekend, Homecoming, holiday events, advancement/fund-raising events, major faculty events, major athletics events, faculty/staff appreciation events, dedications, groundbreakings, and other events, as assigned.Work Tasks:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Provides consultation and support, as required, to on-campus events that involve the Office of the President.
- Assists other campus departments in assessing and evaluating on-campus events to support or improve events, as directed by the Executive Director or President.
- Assists in ensuring that scheduled activities are smoothly integrated with daily University operations. Works closely with Facilities Support, Catering, and other University service departments to coordinate services and staffing schedules with other University events.
- Develop and maintain a tracking system with detailed reports to document facility use, support, and income opportunities.
- Attends weekly meetings; provides detailed event schedule for meetings.
- Works with Director of Scheduling, Events and Conferences in providing information to Scheduling, Events and Conferences, Auxiliary Services, and the University.
- Maintains and updates the University events webpage, social media channels, and online registration sites and forms through iModules.
- Provides backup to Alumni Relations events.
- Assists in recruiting, hiring, training, and supervision of staff as necessary.
- Manages and serves as host for all events at the President’s House, including rentals and outside events.
- Assists with Alumni and Admission events, as needed.
- Oversees logistical arrangements including facility and menu negotiations, managing event follow up, and making recommendations for improvements from post-event evaluations.
- Develops and maintains detailed guidelines and protocols for appropriately managing events. Develops and implements procedures needed to support the efficient use of institutional resources.
- Manage the RSVP process, data management, and mailing list creation for all events.
- Maintains accurate records of events, including the purpose of event, vendors, guest lists, attendance counts. Provides partner departments with final data following each event.
- Creates original graphic and written content for invitations, signage, print and digital collateral materials.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of departmental or office administration by exercising discretion in communicating information to faculty, students, staff, and handling confidential departmental records and files.
- Provides exceptional customer service to the CNU community, welcomes visitors, and answers questions regarding University events.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
- Develop and maintain very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude and treat everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
- Review and communicate safety issues to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of the methods, materials, equipment and techniques used for event preparation and coordination. Knowledge of traditional etiquette, ceremonial protocol, and conventional social amenities. Ability to analyze situations and develop solutions; travel and work non-traditional hours; manage people and projects. Ability to foster positive internal and external public relations. Demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously. Ability to work both independently and in a team environment. Ability to communicate effectively. Excellent customer service skills. Strong organizational and time management skills. Strong computer skills. Basic website maintenance, phone and email skills required.Required Education:
A Master’s Degree in a related field; or a Bachelor’s Degree plus significant event planning experience that equates to an advanced degree is required at time of start date.Experience Required:
Experience coordinating a wide-variety of events. Basic experience with graphic design to create invitations, flyers, emails, and social media marketing; experience managing budgets; experience with the physical set-up and break down of events.Experience Preferred:
Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and app-based event management/check-in tools. Experience with the methods, materials, equipment and techniques used for lighting and sound at events. Prior experience in a College or University setting.CNU Information:
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 387 Best Colleges: 2022 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public regional universities in the South and 6th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus. Christopher Newport University is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored, and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit www.cnu.edu. Posting Number:
AP208PNumber of Vacancies:
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin March 2, 2022.Applications received after March 2, 2022, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check. Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145. Quick Link for Internal Postings:
https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/12990EEO Statement :
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: